chiptuning XM 2.1 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Russell

chiptuning XM 2.1 TD

Post by Russell »

Hi,
Has anyone chiptuned the XM 2.1 TD..[?] (Or Xantia 2.1 TD)
Is it worth doing..?
My XM is a 1993 model, (which I have just got, so I don't know much about them yet), and I'm not even positive that it has an ECU to fiddle with. I have seen it offered for later XM models.
Anyway, if it has an ECU, where do I find it..?
Cheers
Russell [:)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I recall an article in diesel car magazine a couple of years ago, I believe they tried a couple of different chips before it was right...will look for article and scan it if you like.
Stewart
Russell

Post by Russell »

Hi Stewart
Yes please, I'd be very interested to see the article, and it sounds as if it's important to get the right kit. Many thanks for the offer.
I must say how much I enjoy this forum, it seems to be possible to get a reasonable amount of good info, pretty quickly.[:)]
Cheers
Russell
neilsxm

Post by neilsxm »

hi russell
on a 93' your xm should be a mk1
if so you cannot chip it as it is on mechanical injection
you can only chip mk2 models as far as i'm aware, they changed them in 94'
but you can tune them by turning the pump and boost up but before you do this make really sure your head gasket is very good or you'll just blow it
---hth neil---
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hi Russell,
I had my 2.1 xantia chipped about a year ago and I am still glad I did it. It wont turn the car into a rocket sled but it certainly does widen the powerband a fair bit. My chip was a Powerlink chip fitted by a very professional outlet called Rossiters (01485 540 000) they are based in Norfolk. The chip doesnt replace the existing chip, instead it modifies the signals to the fuel pump and pumps more fuel when you plant the foot than the ecu would normally allow. I would say that my car now performs more like a 2.0 16v petrol now than a diesel but fuel economy is still the same. It sounds too good to be true, but of course it will find any weak spots in your engine and you definitely have to stick to the service schedule like glue. On the other hand I can now squeeze 130mph from my Xantia (never on public roads).
Worth it if your car can take it, but expensive otherwise.
cheers
Steve k
p.s. the chip was £300
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Russel,
No you can't chip-tune your series 1 XM TD12 - it has fully mechanical injection. However, you most probably have the Bosch injection pump fitted, which is the most reliable injection pump of all time. Mine (also a '93 TD12) has now covered 510 000 km on the same pump. same turbo, same clutch(!) and same gearbox (manual). If you want to get more power out of the engine, check out the following thread, it could help you:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=5183
//NiSk
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

130mph from a 2.1TD Xantia.
Just for interest what engine revs are you doing at that speed. My 1.9TD hit the rev limiter at just under 125mph ( one morning a bit late for work at 5.45am :))
Neil
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Always allow for up to +10% reading error on the speedo unit [;)]
Russell

Post by Russell »

Hey thanks Guys,
My Citroen XM is disgustingly clean when she's booted, so obviously on a frugal diet of fuel. Think the Air filters new, but that can probably be changed for something a little more free flowing.
That link was pretty cool: [8D]
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Russell
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hi Neil
To be honest I was looking more out of the front of the car with occasional glances at the speedo. The car wont rev past 4600 ish without a lot of under bonnet aerobics. I did however have a rather large plume of brownish smoke following me (which was choking the guy in the Primera SRI well behind me). I wasnt sure if 130mph was good for a 2.1td or not (chipped). Is it?
cheers
Steve