C5 (X7) Electronic Parking Brake problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lenny1972
My Cars: Citroen C5 Exclusive (X7) 2008

C5 (X7) Electronic Parking Brake problem

Post by lenny1972 »

Hi to everybody...
This is my first post and I'm new to the forum so please understand any possible silly question I'm going to post..

Some background information:
Everything started when - while replacing the rear brakes' pads of my Citroen C5-X7 (year 2008) - I unintentionally pulled the manual parking break leverage and one of the two brakes' cable reteired within the EPB box.
For this reason I was not able to replace that brake's pad and had to open-up the EPB box in order to unblock/free the cable.
After that I close back and seal the EPB box and reinstall it, but when I tried to set the auto-parking functionality in the car menu, the car display showed me a lot of errors (i.e EPB error, anti-reverse error, etc..).

I went to the Citroen Assistance and they tried to clear the error code and re-calibrate the brakes but with no success.. Now, when I try to activate the EPB manually an intermittent sound can be heared from the EPB box as if the internal EPB motor was trying to pull the brakes cables but it didn't grip (attach an inner photo of the EPB).

The fact is that replacing with a new EPB costs about 1.000 € (without labour cost)!!

So I bought the DIAGBOX and yesterday I made a first check. Below the list of the errors the tool reported:

- C1559 System locked : Electric motor, cables or calipers (type: "Temporary")
- C1554 Electric motor temperature sensor fault : Coherence (type: "Temporary")
- C155E Mechanical release of the Electric Parking Brake detected fault (type: "Permanent")
- C1550 Brake cable faults (type: "Permanent")
- C155A Electrically-controlled parking brake not calibrated : Travel-effort pattern (type: "Permanent")

I'm wondering if some of the "temporary" errors may be solved by software/configuration or calibration and - for the "permanent" ones - if there are some possibility to solve them by opening-up the EPB box again and set the cables in the right "release" position (if there is any)..

I'm terrified if I have to buy a new EPB kit...!!

Please HELP MEEEE! :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 (X7) Electronic Parking Brake problem

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Lenny - I understand what you are saying, but have you tried the re-initialisation procedure as stated in the manual? This is for emergency releasing of the handbrake and then resetting it back afterwards. The car may think you used the emergency release when the cables went back into the housing and is waiting for the reset procedure before it will work again. I'm not sure if you have the manual handy, but in case you haven't, here is an extract for the relevant bits: it may be worth trying this to see if it will clear the warnings.
I am including the FULL procedure here from the emergency unlocking part then onto the resetting part.
Unlocking in emergency
In the event of the electric parking brake malfunctioning or the battery running flat, an emergency manual device can be used to unlock it
  • 1) Immobilise the vehicle, with the engine running, by engaging first gear (manual gearbox) or position P (automatic gearbox), then switch off the ignition and remove the key.
    2) Fetch the vehicle block located in the boot.
    3) Immobilise the vehicle by placing the block in front of or behind one of the rear wheels.
    4) Open the lower compartment of the central armrest by pulling upwards.
    5) Ensure that the cup-holder is folded back.
    6) Remove the rubber mat covering the base of the armrest.
    7) Disengage the strap from its location
    8) Pull the strap to unlock the brake. A loud click confirms that the brake is unlocked
    9) Make sure that you position the strap back in its location. If not, the application of the parking brake will not be possible. Contact a CITROËN dealer
    10) Refit the rubber mat at the base of the armrest.
    11) Remove and store the block.
This next bit is to reset it:

To re-engage the electric parking brake (once the malfunction or the flat battery has been resolved):
  • 12) make a long pull on the control lever A (electronic parking brake lever) until the parking brake warning lamp (!) flashes on the instrument panel
    13) then make a second long pull until this warning lamp remains lit permanently.
The time for applying the brake subsequent to the emergency unlocking will be longer.
Warning - don't turn the ignition on until you have completed steps 12 and 13 above or you will damage it!

This procedure may be required before the BSI / various ECUs will reset regardless of Diagbox. It might be worth a shot.
The info above is available from the handbook on pages 78 & 79.

Good Luck
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I have a used one if it helps ;)
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I had to use manual release of hand brake once (fusebox related error I think), but didn't have to do that reset-method. I had hand-brake error after releasing, but disconnecting and reconnecting battery cleared that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's just what the manual says - probably to adjust cables / tension back to default values after a manual release. Hope I never have to use the 'Dynamic Emergency Braking' using the electronic handbrake that sounds a bit scary! I wonder how many people would even remember that from the manual in an emergency :shock:

Marc
lenny1972

Post by lenny1972 »

Thanks for your replies but I was not able to solve the problem by following the procedure provided by GiveMeABrake (I tried it before buying the Diagbox tool).
In one french forum I found a thread stating that the only tool that enable the re-calibration the FSE is Lexia (and not DiagBox)...:(

With the DiagbBox I only found two procedures to "pull" and "release" the FSE but not the one to re-calibrate the FSE (even if the Global Check tells me that the FSE is not calibrated..C155A error).

Is there anyone that have used DiagBox (or LExia) in order to re-calibrate the FSE? If so with which tool/version?

Thanks again for your support and help..

@ Lightly: can you please send me in mp more info about the 2nd hand FSE (picture/price/on which vehicle it was installed)?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Diagbox is just the front end of the software for Lexia and Diagbox is what Citroen / Peugeot use. You just need to find the right section - probably under maintenance / service - I'm not 100% sure for this procedure, but I'm sure there will be a section to do this. I'd go out and check for you, but it's bucketing it with rain and I need an electrical extension to the car, so not advisable at present :idea: Maybe one of the other members can advise who have their car under cover or are in the tropics! :-D

Marc
lenny1972

Post by lenny1972 »

Thanks a lot Marc...Wait for the sun to shine...I didn't want you to be electricif(r)ied for this kind of stuff :wink:

p.s.: I'm running DiagBox v.7.56
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Buon pomeriggio - just noticed you are in sunny Italy no doubt! I'm on a stable version 7.65 of Diagbox, but your version should still have option for calibration of Parking Brake. Let's see if anyone can confirm the exact menu options / sequence. Yes, I won't go out with the extension cable in this weather, or else I'll risk ending up with hair like my avatar! Unfortunately my laptop won't hold its charge for very long, so definitely a no no without mains electrics.

Edit: Just had a quick search - under the Peugeot Section of Diagbox it is under 'replacement parts', then under the "Calibration of the Electric Handbrake' sub-section if that helps.

Marc
lenny1972

Post by lenny1972 »

Buon pomeriggio a te Marc...Today it's cloudy (even if not raining) in Italy too.. :(
Supposing Peugeout and Citroen navigation trees are the same, the "replacement part" menu is in the home page or within a 2nd level menu for Peugeout?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OK, just powered up system it seems the Peugeot section is different - so scrub that. I suggest that you undertake a 'Global Test' first of all. Once that has completed, near the top of the ECUs that it has tested, you will see one for 'Electronic Secondary Brake'. If you click on that and then 'Validate' it should take you into that ECU. I can't tell you what is there as I can't get into this without connecting to the car (which I can't do at the moment), so am blind from here on. Just don't change or configure anything or commit any changes unless you have found the option you need. Once the weather clears up I'll try on the car.
If there doesn't seem to be any options here for the reinitialisation, it could be under the first ECU on the list which is the BSI. But again, you have to be really careful here that you don't change anything unless you are sure of what you are doing. Always back out or cancel if you aren't sure.

Marc
lenny1972

Post by lenny1972 »

Thanks for your advice...I'll do the job with the support of a friend of mine that is a mechanic (unfortunately not a Citroën one..).
I really don't want to cause other problems by myself...I'll keep you informed of any update!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Lenny did you ever get anywhere with handbrake re calibration ?
John
rednose66

Post by rednose66 »

Guys sorry to resurrect a pretty old thread. Due to a dead battery I tried the strap method of releasing the handbrake earlier. When it eventually clicked I had a piece of yellow plastic fly out which I'm currently trying to find. This doesn't seem right or am I just paranoid?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you referring to the yellow plastic grip used to pull the handbrake release? Hopefully you didn't pull the end off! Here's the extract from the manual in case you don't have it. Ensure you follow the procedure below to make sure it is properly working:
EPB 1.PNG
EPB 2.PNG
EPB 3.PNG

Marc