My wife's Xantia strut damage bonnet!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fv43576

My wife's Xantia strut damage bonnet!

Post by fv43576 »

My wife drove to school with her kids where the ramps is on Friday morning, she went over about 15-20mph and Xantia collapse the driver side front strut push up the bonnet and bend. The accident happen on right suspension level setting (height adjust knob on middle white line) She only had Xantia less than 3 months year is 2001 with 111,334 miles on clock and it has been pass on MOT 3 weeks ago. I have search on the website lot of XM, Xantia and one C6 with bend bonnet cause the rubber rot on somewhere strut. I can't believe how it is dangerous for my wife she is drives on M25 everyday 70mph could have killed her. I don't think she want to repair seem have fright her lot. Can some help me and explain how to stop cause happen again in the future if the Xantia is repair and how to preserved the strut by add grease or modified something stop go rot or rust or stop go through bonnet. Now I am worry I have C5 mark1 will this happen same? Now I could not see any new top strut parts stock in UK
I have been told go find on facebook in somewhere eastern European that recondition top strut? any recondition in UK?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: My wife's Xantia strut damage bonnet!

Post by myglaren »

The only known refurbisher is Kingas in Lithuania.
Several of our members have used them and been completely satisfied with the results.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

C5 mark1 will this happen
No risk, the C5 strut top is very different and doesn't collapse.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

There are 2 types of strut top failure, in hot countries, or it the car is driven with flat spheres, the rubber joint tears, in places where salt is used on the road in winter, the steel bracket rusts and the metal tears. I presume that your failure is the second type?

When Kingas repair the strut tops, they add additional strips of metal that prevent the strut from coming loose even if the rubber or mounting plate fail again.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have used KingAS to have XM strut tops rebuilt and I can recommend them. They did a good job...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fv43576

Post by fv43576 »

Thanks I am relief C5 not same type suspension as XM and Xantia, I have been worry for few days. I will see what my wife decide after the new year whether to send strut to KingAS repair and get a new bonnet or get other car C5.
Merry Christmas to you all! :-)