C3 Sensodrive 2004 1.4 Wont start - Have Lexia Codes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davedougan
My Cars: 54 C3 Sensodrive, 54 Pug 206, 08 Citroen C1, BMW 118D

C3 Sensodrive 2004 1.4 Wont start - Have Lexia Codes

Post by davedougan »

Hi, new to the forum so hoping for some help. My partners C3 Sensodrive has run faultlessly for 2 years but last week refused to start. It has the - on the display where the gear number should be and the radio info screen on dash says eco mode enabled.
I bought a Lexia kit and read the codes for the gearbox. There were no specific ECU faults but it did give 4 which are the following:-
Remote Permanent Fault - Brake Signal switch P1704
Permanent Fault ECU Power Latch P1702
Temporary Fault Clutch Opening Travel P0811
There was also another to do with the gear lever switch which i managed to erase without screenshotting Doh!!

I then erased all the codes in the hope that it might allow me to start but alas no.
I also tried to do an actuator test on the clutch and gear actuators (with a charger and running vehicle connected to the battery) but none of them would run in the test.
I'm scratching my head now. The car is perfect condition otherwise but fearing it's for the scrapper soon. Any advice would be appreciated
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: C3 Sensodrive 2004 1.4 Wont start - Have Lexia Codes

Post by daviemck2006 »

I had a c2 sensodrive which cost over a grand to fix when this happened, then I sold it. I saw it for sale again recently as spares for 100 quid with the same again less than a year later. I'm afraid I have no useful advice for you except don't buy another!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

First thing to try is reprogramming the gear change & clutch auctuators with Lexia. Lexia guides you through the process. As you done before it is imperative that you have another car with the engine running connected with jump leads during this process.
Report back how this goes.
davedougan

Post by davedougan »

thanks for the helpful response. I'm having some laptop issues so hopefully when solved them will have a go at reprogramming the actuators. Is the fact that I couldn't get them to respond before a hint that one or both is faulty?
Thanks Again
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Are you saying that the engine wont start, or the engine runs and the gears won't engage?
After you erased the gearbox faults, did any of them come back?
davedougan

Post by davedougan »

Engine still wont start. Battery light flashes but I think thats to do with the Eco Mode being engaged due to multiple removing of the positive lead to try to reset things. There is no snowflake as in many of the posts online which makes me think this is different. None of the codes suggested the actuators being at fault tho as they refuse to submit to a Lexia test then maybe they are. The only fault which returned after erasing with Lexia was the ECU Latch one which I think is because I once again removed the positive lead. None of the others (brake light, clutch position, gear switch) came back. To say I'm puzzled is an understatement!
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Where are you located ? We have a working example of each part, it's the only reliable way to fix . We get plenty of them in at our workshop in Notts /Derby area.
We currently have a Nemo in, the Ecu was a cool£1K :(
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
davedougan

Post by davedougan »

Sadly I'm up in Scotland. It would be really bad luck for both the clutch and gear actuators to go at the exact same time so I'm thinking that points towards the ECU or maybe even that brake switch? What's your experience of what it normally is that goes wrong?
I'm going to try re-programming each actuator tonight when I get home. If this fails then the car is only worth £1000 so no point in spending much on it. I can buy an almost exact same version in manual for £1100 so kind of no brainer really. Spend £500+ on fixing it with the worry it might return or spend £1100 on something conventional (well conventional for a Citroen anyway). Fingers crossed the programming does something tho.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Hi, I have two of these and did a writeup here on testing and resetting the boxes, just can't find it. It was not a sticky it was something else, maybe someone can help.
In the meantime I did find the electronics bits suppliers which may be of use http://www.ecutesting.com/citroen/c2-c3 ... fault.html I haven't used them but prices seem reasonable, worth a call as maybe they can suggest a solution.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=50125

CitroJim created it in Handy Hints & Tips
Richard W
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The c2 owners club has lots of information and experience of sensodrive boxes.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
davedougan

Post by davedougan »

Hi thanks for those links. To be fair i've tried most with no success.
However after reading through a couple someone mentioned the creaking of the clutch actuator - ours was doing this for a while prior to the fault with starting appearing - could this be the issue (although still doesnt explain why the actuator test on gear selector failed)
Baffled
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The clutch actuator is a reasonably common failure item, they do tend to creak, simply because they are made of plastic inside , and the clutch can get heavy to operate as it gets older & worn.
2nd to this , the Ecu does fail, we tend to get new ones as they are £265 + vat which is quite reasonable.
Certain test places will charge £200 to fix your old one, and they are not always successful.
Make sure there has been no water ingress into the under bonnet fuse box, as they can corrode and cause all these problems.
Also, check the wiring plugs going to the Ecu, the wires tend to corrode & break where they come out of the conduit, just before the plugs.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
davedougan

Post by davedougan »

Thanks for the advice. I;ve bitten the bullet and sent the ECU off to BB-Reman for a test (they seem to have a good reputation - even saw them on Wheeler Dealers!). £35 plus postage for a test seemed a fair price although you're always at the mercy of their honesty not just saying it's faulty when it's not - fingers crossed.
I've had a good look at the cables to the ECU and it's getting a good power feed from the battery abd the wires show no signs of damage or wear, in fact they look in excellent condition.
So I;m just hoping that it's the ECU - these are like gold dust to get second hand so they do seem to be a common fault.
Will keep you updated.
davedougan

Post by davedougan »

Latest on the drama of C3. Got yet another ECU (this time all the way from Latvia). Like the last 2nd hand on I got, once I plugged it in and reconnected the battery the dash display showed "N"....result I thought!!! . But still no starting. I then moved the gear lever and I could hear the gear selector moving a couple times then the display went back to "-" :(....The Lexia is back to showing Power Latch error and further diag with Lexia says the ECU is faulty (which I doubt as it's now the 3rd one). I've also dug into the loom and checked the continuity on the CAN H and L wires from BSI all the way to the GB ECU and no issues. The 3 blue power wires to the GB ECU are also showing 13.8v at the blue plug. I'm baffled!!!!
Anyone know why the selector would move a couple times then die again?