C 5 OBD2 Port

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lakanooky2
My Cars: 1999 Xantia 2.0 HDI SX Blue ...... Scrapyard in the sky
2003 C5 2.0 8v HDI VTR Green With Leather
2004 C5 2.0 8V HDI Exclusive Estate Red With Leather
2004 C5 2.0 16v HDI VTR Hatchback Red
2005 C5 2.0 16V HDI VTR Estate Black With Leather

C 5 OBD2 Port

Post by lakanooky2 »

Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me if i plug a reader into the OBD2 Port will it tell me on the screen ie laptop, tablet, phone, ....... faults like rear passenger seat belt not connected or window open or door unlocked.
Also where does this information come from ECU or On-board computer or something else.
Thanks Mark
Thanks In Advance Mark
1999 Xantia 2.0 HDI SX Blue ...... Scrapyard in the sky
2003 C5 2.0 8v HDI VTR Green with Leather
2004 C5 2.0 8V HDI Exclusive Estate Red with Leather
2005 C5 2.0 16V HDI VTR Estate Black with Leather
BX
My Cars:

Re: C 5 OBD2 Port

Post by BX »

With a suitable interface and appropriate software yes. The most suitable package for Peugeot-Citroën cars is Diagbox/lexia/planet. There are several multimarque diagnostic packages out there that can tell you most things about your car but are more limited in their scope. The information comes from the various computers on the car such as the BSI (body computer) abs ECU, suspension ECU, instrument cluster, engine ECU, etc.
I cannot understand why, when the various governments ie. USA for OBD2, EU for EOBD, were mandating common standards they didn't opt for existing standards such as rs232 or centronics which could directly interface with computers rather than the mad array of options allowed on the eobd port.
lakanooky2

Post by lakanooky2 »

Thanks BX
Now we know its the EOBD, On the facelift model.
I know about the Lexia ie just like the Citroen Mechanics have, but im trying to find something like this
http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/
Im getting rid of the screen,headunit/satnav and i was thinking of Bluetooth it to my Tablet, then have the Tablet where the screen should be, ie in the pod on the dashboard so the faults like rear passenger seat belt not connected or rear boot window open ( it's an estate ) or door unlocked, will show up on the tablet, hence asking where the particular faults come from.
Thanks In Advance Mark
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Eobd and obd2 are virtually the same. Generic readers generally only give information relevant to engine emissions. However this is enough to drive a virtual dashboard. However displaying the information you mention is trickier. One way would be to read the information from the can bus. You then need to figure out the addressing scheme. The reason for reading the can bus is that most of this type of information is broadcast to the other units over the bus. One difference between can and lan is that information. On the can is identified by source address and information type rather than by source address and destination address. I'm sure that you can find something similar to wireshark for can bus and get the addressing scheme for the c5 if you look hard enough.
lakanooky2

Post by lakanooky2 »

pm sent BX
Thanks In Advance Mark
TrojanL200

Post by TrojanL200 »

After reading a couple of posts on here was wondering if this is the right place to pose this question. I have C5 2003 pre facelift. Bought Lexia 3 rev b kit to read diagnostics. I am a fairly competent DIY motor mechanic. However one fault I am trying to remedy is "Airbag Fault" this is on constantly in digital readout where date/time screen is, but dash airbag light goes off as it should and does not come back on while ignition is on. On Lexia 3 screen same thing "Airbag Fault"
My question is which part is faulty and how do I find out so I can replace the faulty part.
Any help on this matter will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance Chris
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If you ask Lexia to display details of the fault, what does it say?
TrojanL200

Post by TrojanL200 »

Good question only just got Lexia and without instructions
Only just got it bringing up faults.
So far all I get is airbag fault
Tried clicking on airbag fault words and nothing happens.
This is a learning process in progress lol
Sorry not much help I knowl
lakanooky2

Post by lakanooky2 »

Hi BX
Does the below look/sound about right
http://www.cowfishstudios.com/blog/canned-pi-part1
Thanks In Advance Mark
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Had a quick glance. Seems to be good information to me. All these electronic systems are devised and produced by various companies e.g. Bosch, Siemens/Continental, Delphi, and are customised to the requirements of the various vehicle manufacturers. There are some differences in addressing schemes and in bus speeds. Indeed on a single vehicle there may be several busses running at different speeds. These are linked by a gateway. This may be part of the instrument cluster or part of another computer. In PSA cars it is the body computer which is known as the BSI. All cars use similar systems. Often the biggest difference is the nmeonics use describe the units. The language of the engineers is often the deciding factor. Thus BSI = Boitier Servitude Intelligent. On another make we have GEM or General Electronic Module.
Have a read through this as well
https://theksmith.com/software/hack-veh ... sy-part-1/
The reason that PSA cars became such a wonder was that they were amongst the earliest "Joe Soap" European cars to adopt this technology. I think Mercedes Benz might have been slightly ahead of them but they were slower to filter into the hands of smaller garages and DIY owners. Another factor in MB not getting the same reputation with the public was that their owners were accustomed to higher maintenance bills anyway and had a larger budget to spend on their motoring.
There is plenty of good information on the net regarding the buses on the C5. I haven't had time to dig anything up for you but make use of Google.
TrojanL200

Post by TrojanL200 »

dnsey wrote:If you ask Lexia to display details of the fault, what does it say?
Had a chance to go through fault reading on Lexia now mate and this is what comes up on airbag fault
Level 1 drivers airbag igniter open ciruit
Level 2 drivers airbag igniter open circuit

Also got BSI fault and it says permanent fault communication with alarm ECU

Regards Chris
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

The airbag fault is most likely in the clock spring ribbon cable which is part of the com2000. It is repairable if you know what you are doing otherwise repair options are available, details of which are well covered on this forum. There is no involvement with the electronics of the com2000 it is only 5 wires and connectors. 2wires to each of the steering wheel airbag squibs and 1 wire for the horn.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

TrojanL200 wrote: Level 1 drivers airbag igniter open ciruit
Level 2 drivers airbag igniter open circuit
In which case the rotary connector at the steering wheel is knackered. Unfortunately this is part of the COM2000 stalks unit, and costs a reasonable amount to replace. There are loads of different ones, if you post or PM the VIN I can get a part number for yours. Alternatively, there is a guy in Bradford repairs them, but air bag faults are not 100%: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 15&t=53853 Doesn't actually give a link, but this is the guy: Ebay COM2000 repair
Richard W
TrojanL200

Post by TrojanL200 »

BX wrote:The airbag fault is most likely in the clock spring ribbon cable which is part of the com2000. It is repairable if you know what you are doing otherwise repair options are available, details of which are well covered on this forum. There is no involvement with the electronics of the com2000 it is only 5 wires and connectors. 2wires to each of the steering wheel airbag squibs and 1 wire for the horn.
I did take the airbag holder carefully off the steering wheel to check see if the wires had broke when I first noticed the airbag fault and everything seemed intact. I presume the two wires you refer to on the airbag are the ones soldered to the airbag unit.
I am pretty competent at de-soldering and re-soldering so if I can get hold of a replacement unit I am sure I can do a repair myself.
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

There is a 5 way ribbon cable wound round like the hair spring of a clock. The outer end is split to connect to connect 2 wires to each of the two airbag igniters and also a third branch to the horn. This cable has a reinforcing plastic cover after it exits the rotary housing. The break is usually where the cable is bonded to the outer housing or else where it is terminated at the inner end. Dismount the air bag and then disconnect the two connectors. Remove the lower cover from the steering column. At the bottom of the com 2000 there are two connectors, one to the right and one to the left of the steering column. These are the airbag wiring connectors. At this point you have two testing options.
Option 1. Check the continuity of the wires from these connectors through the "clock spring" to the connectors which you have removed from the airbag.
If you disconnect the wiring from the back of the com 2000 there is a tab which shorts the two wires together. It is possible to plug in with very fine pins to check for a short circuit on each airbag connector.
Option 2. Get two resistors 2.2 ohm 0.5W. Remove the plugs from the connectors on the rear of the com 2000. Insert one resistor in each plug (on the wiring going back into the loom). Switch on the ignition and see if the airbag lamp lights for a short while, then extinguishes. If it does, remove the resistors and reconnect the wiring. Now put the resistors into the plugs which you removed from the airbag.
It is possible to dismantle the unit and find the break in the wires. As I said it is normally at one or other end of the spiral. whether it is possible for you to repair the fault depends on your skill level and dexterity with a soldering iron. Hot melt glue is excellent for securing and insulating the repair
It is important to centralise the unit and the steering on assembly.