Citroen zx td VS Peugeot 306 td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

Citroen zx td VS Peugeot 306 td

Post by louis1 »

I have a 1993 zx td and my freind is looking at buying a 1.9 td but is not sure whether to buy a zx or a 306, I have never had a 306 so i dont know which is best, he is looking for a 1994/1995. Has any one had both these cars and can let me know there thoughts on which they would recommend and why, e.g performance, handling, comfort, common problems and value for money.
Thanks louis
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Essentially the same car.
306 has slightly sharper handling (mainly due to better wheel choices available), and looks "sportier" if that matters to him. Nicer interior on some. Chicks love 'em! Commands a price premium, because of the image. Makes you wonder who cares about image in a ten year old car.... More likely to have been abused by the revvers and thrashers, and may have been a company car in its early life. My employer used to dish these out as work cars, I drove one for severl months on and off. Seem to remember that the front suspension arms needed regular replacement.
ZX has more comfortable ride, good seats but generally bland interior. Excellent sliding rear seat arrangement. No image hence you get a lot of car for the money. Unlikely to have been abused, but like any 10 YO car, may have been under-serviced by cheapskate owners with the "buy'em cheap and run them into the ground" mentality. A good one is an excellent car - probably the best value used car in the UK.
On both cars, look out for leaking heater matrix, and cooling problems. Change oil and filter regularly (3-5K depending on usage), change coolant (header tank essential) every 2 years, flush brake fluid every 2 years to avoid sticking calipers. The front calipers are a weak point on both cars, apart from fluid flushes as above, strip them down and copper grease everything every 6 months. Ensure the bleed nipples come undone and copper grease the threads every time they get moved.
Serviced regularly and properly both cars are capable of big mileages.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

I drive both a ZX td Volcane and a far newer 306td meridian 5dr. The ZX is by far the better in many ways. The seating position is more comfortable, the cornering is superior and it is just generally nicer to drive. If I was looking for cars of a similar age, I would look for a decent ZX. I think the ZX looks better too, especially from the back. Sometimes the 306 feels like a gold fish bowl with all that glass. IMHO of course.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

ZX is much cheaper... so better value for money! But less image (not a looker, the 3 door 306 Dturbo is a great looker!)
The ZX is also quicker I believe, because it is lighter.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

As someone who owns a TD ZX and also drives several 306TDs I agree with the above comments.
I think it can be accepted the 306 is in greater demand due to nice styling and its image.
For us the lower ZX prices, together with a higher and more upright seating/driving feel makes it the best choice.
David
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I have also heared that the Turbo on the ZX is bigger than that on the 306, so to go along with TomH it should be quicker.
I run a 1.4 Carb'd and its easly got the leggs on the N/A 1.9D.
I'm now have my second ZX - a 1.4i 3 Door.
I think that although the 306 looks nicer inside and out, I can't justify the extra when I've been so impressed with the ZX.
My brother runs a D-Turbo 306 and, yes its very nice & very quick but it's all so....so common, and he paid to dollor for it. To give an example:
1.4i 306 '94 on a L 3Dr = £995
1.4i ZX '96 on a N 3Dr = £300 < so I Bought it!! lol.
Im a ZX man!
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Not sure about your pricing there, rossnunn; a guy at work bought an M-reg 306 XN last month for £2,300. But then he is a fool, and a ripped-off one at that ;-O
But yes, I agreee with the comments so far in that you pay the premuium for the 306's looks. One other thing to consider is the insurance; I believe ZXs are a higher group in general, especially so for the turbo diesels.
Me? 306 TD all the way :-)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

My sister owns a Per- 306 Diesel. K. reg. She paid over a £1,000 more for it than I did for my K reg (93) ZX. [:I] with similar mileages, 86K ish.. About 30 months ago.. (summer 2001).
I have spent a further £500 ish on front fogs, 14" ally wheels, Volcane seats, door panels, leather steering wheel, and the volcane aerated front disks etc, etc... But has still cost less than the 306. My car is now well "sorted" and its a real pleasure to go anywhere in it..
My ZX was very cheap to buy, is cheap to run, and above all. Its extremely reliable!!! [:D] [^]
Erm.. In case I forgot to mention it. I LOVE my ZX. Diesel. [:D] [:D] [^]
There are two items I would like to add thou, [B)] one.. some 'long life' dash bulbs, and 2.. some more 'storage space' within easy reach when I'm driving..
PS. Anders, my friendly local garage owner, [:)] let me use one of his ramps today, so I have just done a "full monty" service, inc changing the brake fluid, coolant, all oils, incuding auto gearbox, and fitted all parts, filters etc etc as recomended by you and others.. I even swopped the wheels front to back.. [:)] Thanks again for all the advice..
ddahaa

Post by ddahaa »

When I decided I needed a TD I was looking at the 306 until I found how much cheaper the ZX was for a better specced car. I ended up with a 96 ZX Volcane TD that had one family owner from new, 51k miles with full history and I paid £2k. That might sound a lot for a ZX but that was from a garage and I'm very happy with what I got for my money. Equivalent 306 would have had a lot more miles and lower spec for anything like the same money.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

batwad - the £300 ZX came from ebay - couldn't see whay anyone else didn't bid on it. As for the 306 your probably right as car prices here are artifically high.
When I decide to sell the 1.4i, im gonna be looking for a 16v'er.....maybe :)
R
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ddahaa</i>

When I decided I needed a TD I was looking at the 306 until I found how much cheaper the ZX was for a better specced car. I ended up with a 96 ZX Volcane TD that had one family owner from new, 51k miles with full history and I paid £2k. That might sound a lot for a ZX but that was from a garage and I'm very happy with what I got for my money. Equivalent 306 would have had a lot more miles and lower spec for anything like the same money.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds good to me. I would say £2k well spent!
In relation to dash board lights mentioned above, I have fiddled with the rheostat so I can turn them off during the day when not needed.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

ditto to do with the dash lights, however The best fix I have found is to replace the blown bulbs with white LEDs, I did this to my last ZX and they were in there years.
I can make up sets of these inc fittings so all you need to do is remove the old bulbs and plug these in.
The are two minor drawbacks tho. 1) the rheostat still works but you can hardly notice the difference, & 2) the light is more light green than green - due to the use of white leds.
Anyone interested?? Email: thethinktank31@hotmail.com.
Cheers
R