C5 2.2HDI will not start after garage fitted ABS pump unit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kca

C5 2.2HDI will not start after garage fitted ABS pump unit

Post by kca »

I have a problem with my 2001 C5 2.2HDI due to it not starting. This car is in excellent condition with 80000 miles on it, I have owned it from new and it has been very reliable until now.

This problem happened when I had a local garage remove the ABS ECU pump and fit a used one for me as I had an ABS and ESP warning light on and they were not working. After they fitted the used pump ECU they called me to say it would not start and they would have to put the original one back in. But after fitting the original one they told me it still would not start and they blamed the used pump ECU for this.

Could anyone tell me if fitting a faulty ABS ECU pump unit could cause the BSI to break as I did not think it would be possible for that to happen? I have checked all the fuses and they are OK, so I suspect they have caused a short circuit, as when I got the car back all the ECU housing was in the boot with the ECU and fuse box etc., and they were just hanging loose, as they expected me just to scrap the car. I also noticed that a black box with green base approx.., 4”x2”x2” with 2 large terminals and a connector (not sure what this is) was hanging very close to the metal base of the ECU and there is a small mark on the ECU like a burn mark.

I intend to contact consumer protection about the garage, but hope someone can help if at all possible, to get the car running again. I have a Lexia copy but it is no use as it cannot connect to the BSI and I have also tried the BSI reset procedure many times. I have also tried my nearest main dealer Glasgow Citroen, but after having had it transported there they the said it could cost £500 + vat for 5 hours diagnostics with no guarantee of finding the fault. In the past I have used Citroen Services in Rutherglen for my repairs but they have changed and are no longer able to work on Citroens. :(

Any help, or recommendations for an independent Citroen garage near Glasgow would be much appreciated as the car was looking and driving like new before this happened.

Thanks
Ken
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C5 2.2HDI will not start after garage fitted ABS pump unit

Post by wheeler »

I cant imagine for a minute that an ABS unit has shorted something out.
The little box you are looking at is the glow plug relay which has a permanent & exposed un fused battery supply.
Reading between the lines here my gut feeling is that they have been changing the unit without the battery being disconnected & when moving the injection ECU aside the casing has shorted against the glowplug relay live supply leaving the scorch mark on it & damaging the ECU. Try adding a temporary earth from the ECU casing to the battery negative terminal & see if it makes a difference.
Have you actually spoke to Citroen services (now CAM automobiles) as far as I know they have changed to CAM automobiles but still incorporate citroen services.
kca

Post by kca »

Thanks wheeler
I think that is exactly what they have done. I will try what you say, but is the casing not earthed already. I contacted Citroen services a few weeks ago to get them to fix the ABS problem, but they told me their technician that worked with there Citroen equipment has left, and the are looking for a new technician. That is why I unfortunately ended up dealing with these people at ADS Motors Alexandria.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The casing is meant to be earthed but when the casing is shorted to +ve it can burn out the internals that allow it to earth, running a replacemet earth to the casing sometimes solves it.
I've had sucess on quite a few xsara picassos where the injection ecu casing has shorted to +ve. The ecu is located close to the positive busbar under the bonnet if the cover is off it or missing the ecu can easily be shorted to it if the battery is not been disconnected.
kca

Post by kca »

Thanks again I will let you know if it works
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Ken this is a sad tale for a car you have owned from new..
anyone, is main ECU change a possibility or a major headache?

John
kca

Post by kca »

Thanks everyone for you help so far I have contacted BBA reman who said they could test the BSI for £45 plus vat and delivery a total of around £90, and to a repair would cost approx £387 with delivery. But i am not sure this would fix it as they could have done other damage and I may still have the original problem with the ESP light on.

I think i will just have to scrap it or find someone who wants it for spares or repair. I have recently had a new particulate filter fitted and brake discs and the car is fitted with 17" alloys.
So far I have been offered £20 to £100 for scrap. :(
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Ken I think the BSI is a box within the steering column, the main engine ECU sits with the engine fusebox on the right as you look at car from bumper
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if as we suspect the injection ECU casing has been shorted to +ve then BSI damage is highly unlikely, most likely just ECU damage.
Have you tried what I suggested yet ?
kca

Post by kca »

Sorry I made a mistake in my last message I meant to say BBA Reman could test the engine ECI not the BSI.

Hi Wheeler
I tried what you said with an earth wire and I was amazed when the car started!

I had just got used to the fact that my car would have to be scrapped. I can't thank you enough; will everything function as normal with this wire in place? I haven't put things together yet as it was getting to cold today, the only problem I have now is with the ESP light being on.

I originally had both the ABS and ESP lights on and the ABS was not functioning. The Abs light is now out but the ESP is on could this be caused by air in the system as the brakes have not been bled?
I know the Lexia I have has a bleed function is there anything I need to know when using it and will I have to bleed all the brakes?

Thanks again Wheeler and everyone else who has tried to help, you have saved a very good car from being scrapped.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

kca wrote: Hi Wheeler
I tried what you said with an earth wire and I was amazed when the car started!
That's good news & also pretty much confirms that the injection ecu casing has indeed been shorted against +ve.
I have saved quite a few ECU's (although normally Picasso's) by doing this & never had any known issues after doing this.
As for the ESP light on, you may have to recalibrate the steering angle sensor with Lexia and/or clear the fault codes. Hopefully this should set everything right.
kca

Post by kca »

Thanks again you made my day, I just hope I can get the ESP sorted as my MOT is due soon.
kca

Post by kca »

Thanks again all who helped me get my car back on the road. The car has now past its MOT, but I have started getting an ESP warning again, checked it with Lexia and it indicates no communication with the steering angle sensor. I have tried calibrating it but it makes no difference, does any one know how much a steering angle sensor costs and is it an expensive repair.
At least I will have another year to sort it out.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The angle sensor is part of the com2000 unit, ball park price for a brand new one with ESP over £300
kca

Post by kca »

Thanks think I will just have to do without ESP, and hope I can delete fault before next MOT if I still have the car.
The warning light stays out for a few miles after resenting.

Thanks again