Weighing and matching Pistons/con rods

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Geoff Lebowski

Weighing and matching Pistons/con rods

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

When I cleaned/decreased the Pistons from my 2.1 the ink printed on the big end washed off!
I know that each piston is with it's original conrod.
I know that each big end cap is still with it's original conrod.
But, I have no clue as to which position each of my piston/conrods came from. I can't really see a problem as they all measured pretty much identically, the engine runs excellently (apart from my oil in coolant problem) but my question relates to weight and if those piston/conrod assemblies are matched in 'moving pairs', that is that pistons 1 & 4 are matched as a pair weight wise to pistons 2 & 3.
If they are, what sort of weight difference are we talking between 1+4 and 2+3?
I didn't think to weight them before I assembled the engine. There is a minor engine vibration around 1500 rpm that quickly disappears but I don't recall this vibration being on the donor engine. Thoughts?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Weighing and matching Pistons/con rods

Post by Peter.N. »

Never thought about this, I have always assembled them randomly and never had any trouble. I think they would have to be a long way out to give a problem, its not exactly a high revving engine.

Peter
Bick

Post by Bick »

Not ideal to mix them up but in you defence moden machining practises mean all the pistons should be very close. They will have bedded in to their respective boars so i would give each boar a good glaze busting and you should be okay.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah, I was referring to a replacement of a set of pistons, not replacing used ones, don't think I have ever had occasion to refit the original pistons, not all of them anyway.

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I cannot see the problem, the "throw weight" is still matched.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Considering that the piston part numbers, con rods are the same? (check it) then I think that is the tolerance that the engine is built to.
The flywheel /crank and possibly harmonic balancer would take care of the rest. Did you hone the bores or fit piston rings?

Are your engine mounts all good and OE?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Stickyfinger wrote:I cannot see the problem, the "throw weight" is still matched.
not necessarily...
If piston A & B weighed the same as piston C & D then A & B would be fitted to 1 & 4 positions and C & D would be 2 & 3 positions. This is assuming they are matched in pairs at the factory.
If I mixed them up accidentally to result in a 1 & 4 position set that is off weight to the 2 & 3 position then wouldn't that create a vibration?
A appreciate that from modern manufacturing things are pretty close (negligible?) but I assumed that it was due to weight that the the pistons/conrod sets were numbered position wise. Is there another reason?

Lexi - the bores were re-bored, so nice and clean. Everything else was original.
I have not got a harmonic balancer pulley fitted for a few reasons, but my guess is they were fitted to dampen air con compressor 'shocks' more than anything else, they would have minimal impact on engine vibrations surely?

Regarding engine mounts - interesting as I have been having thoughts about these. The ones fitted are GSF replacements and are noticeably harder then the originals they replaced. So much so that I consider them a waste of money and will be fitting the previous (perhaps slightly tired, but perfectly useable) O.E. ones back in the spring!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Ahhh....I was thinking they would be matched as a 4x set rather than in pairs.
When rebuilding my Healey engine, I spent hours matching the weights across all six and the chamber volumes.....grind
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Bick

Post by Bick »

Geoff Lebowski wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:I cannot see the problem, the "throw weight" is still matched.

''Lexi - the bores were re-bored, so nice and clean. Everything else was original.''

So you did use new pistons then?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Not sure about the harmonic balancer Geoff. My thinking is that it is there as a measure to deal with stuff that is a physical limitation of the design. Rather like the way that a 3 bearing crank will wear things a certain way, no matter what, then the five bearings sorted a lot of that. You may be spot on with air con thing as it came out round about then. In the dim past I faintly remember the balancing procedures. It's gone, along with the piles of Hot Car and C& CC Mags :lol:
Modern DMF'S counter the air con "kick" as well I think. Wow......nice one on the rebore. 8-)
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

What car are we talking about here? (can't see any mention in the OP or OP footer?)

A common or garden modern engine won't have faffed about with matching piston/rod weights, they'll all just be within a certain spec. The only reason for a piston being in a specific bore, will be bore/piston diameter, IMO.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)