New crankshaft seal leaking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

New crankshaft seal leaking

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've replaced the belt end crankshaft seal on the 1.9 TD Xantia while doing the cambelt as it was weeping slightly. When I ran up the car before putting it all the covers and bits on I noticed its still leaking and worse than before!

Removed the crankshaft sprocket and its leaking from the inside section of the seal all the way around. Must admit I can't remember if I put grease/oil on the inside. I'm assuming this could be the root of my problem :(

Surely though, the oil that has now leaked past should have made up for the potential lack of grease/oil I put in or could it be more that I've damaged the seal by not fitting with lubrication?

I'm going to replace it first thing, MOT test is at 1.15pm, hopefully I should be able to get it all back together for then!

I guess I'm just looking for thoughts more than anything else!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: New crankshaft seal leaking

Post by citroenxm »

Did the inner seal face prehaps flip outwards from fitting it dry kev and therefore not seal correctly. Id have smeared oil on the inner face if not grease....
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

citroenxm wrote:Did the inner seal face prehaps flip outwards from fitting it dry kev and therefore not seal correctly. Id have smeared oil on the inner face if not grease....
That's a good thought.

Raises another questions, for the purposes of the crankshaft seal, is oil or grease more effective?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Id use oil kev and the same one thats in the engine.. just for the sake of it...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Thanks Paul
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

One important thing to note with more modern cars that use a PTFE seal is that the seal must be fitted absolutely dry, without even a trace of oil, and the seal must be allowed to settle, so allowing it to mould to the shape of the shaft, for at least 4 hours before the engine is run. Of course, a 98 Xantia is hardly likely to use such technology, but worth knowing all the same!
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Bob L'eponge wrote:One important thing to note with more modern cars that use a PTFE seal is that the seal must be fitted absolutely dry, without even a trace of oil, and the seal must be allowed to settle, so allowing it to mould to the shape of the shaft, for at least 4 hours before the engine is run. Of course, a 98 Xantia is hardly likely to use such technology, but worth knowing all the same!
Worth noting none the less!
Do these PTFE seals look visibly different?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The damage on your Nitrile seal may be caused by it inverting, or heating and wearing on start up due to being dry.
I lube seal and shaft with the oil that box is using. Nicks or groove in steel shaft can cause tearing of rubber.
Sometimes it is possible to get a seal with double lip to replace a single lip one. These double ones are better, especially if you have any groove made from a single lipped seal. The double will generally sit in a different spot to the groove or wear. If you have no groove or wear, the standard single lip Febi or Corteco seal will do.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

With regard to the new seal leaking, was it made by reputable manufacturer? I ask as many years ago, I fitted new seals to BX DTR's camshaft, supplied by a company that did head repairs, and they leaked. Not messing about, I then fitted the genuine seals from Citroen, and no leaks. So I've been a bit wary of pattern products ever since.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Replacing the radio aerial on a Citroen Xantia.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Perhaps this would be an easier way to go. I always used Comma seak'n seal but it's no longer available, this is an alternative from a different maker.

http://www.captaintolley.com/

Sorry, posted in the wrong place, can't find the delete button :shock:
Last edited by RichardW on 30 Nov 2015, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct location
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've had another look and there's a decent scratch on the crankshaft, looks like its leaking past. Not sure if I can be doing with replacing the crankshaft this time of year so I'll consider my options.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

How deep is the scratch Kev?

You'd be surprised how well an oil seal can seal even on a slightly damaged surface..

Have you a picture at all?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've fitted a second brand new seal today and this one is also leaking. It's a fairly deep scratch, guess I could try filing it down a bit as I've nothing to lose?

I've heard about this chemical metal, has anyone had experience of using that?

Whatever I do it's going to have to wait as I don't think my scratched up hands or mental health can deal with it at present!

I'll have to stick with driving the 605 until I'm ready to have another go. Funny really, this time last year and the year before the 605 was trying my patience and the Xantia was the trooper. This year its the other way around!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a shame Kev :(

The surface needs to be smooth and if you can fill the scratch with chemical metal and make the surface as smooth as the surrounding you should be OK...

Don't attack the seal face with a file as this might make deeper scratches and flat which will then never seal...

Rub down the chemical metal only with fine wet and dry used dry...

Good to know the 605 is being good now... How's the XM?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Just got the short gear linkage to replace on the 605 (just arrived in at the local dealer) as its being secured with cable ties at the moment and then it will be perfect again!

The XM also has an oil leak...suspected crankshaft seal but on the gearbox side! That's sitting on the drive awaiting some warm weather!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair