Airfix etc

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Airfix etc

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Posted this up on the C5-Bol thread being semi-relevant as Haynes have teamed up with Airfix for a bit of diversification.

..but Airfix and its equivalents were a definite pocket money buy in my youth, and there must be a fair bit of nostalgia for them out there...

reminisce away...

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Airfix etc

Post by CitroJim »

Funnily enough Neil, I never made Airfix kits as a kid.. No interest in them at all... My toys as a kid were all 1:1 models :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Funnily enough Neil, I never made Airfix kits as a kid.. No interest in them at all... My toys as a kid were all 1:1 models :D
Just to keep the kettle boiling, here's a couple of kits which maybe at the time weren't as good sellers as the Supermarine Spitfire, or the Sopwith Camel,

Its even in beige!

and the stuff of dreams......

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The et cetera as far as France was concerned was probably/still is Heller

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I think my disappointment with them was they never looked like the box photos however carefully you made and painted them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Yes, those guys in the Renault 16 certainly seem in a bit of a hurry, quite difficult to recreate from the bits in the box!

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Terrible weather too by the looks of it!
Jim

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Any modelling enthusiasts had better sit down.
As a kid, I'd go down to our local Woolworths with my pocket money and often buy an Airfix kit, usually WW2 planes of some description. After assembly, not once avoiding getting the cement all over the 'glass' bits, I'd go to the local tobacconist and get one of those little rubbery phials of lighter fuel. My friends and I would play dogfights for a while and the grande finale was filling the models with the lighter fuel and launching them, alight and smoking, out of the upstairs bedroom window to crash and burn, as so often featured in the films at the time.
These days I'd probably have been taken into care, it was nothing unusual then in those pre Health and safety days.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

isisalar wrote:I'd go to the local tobacconist and get one of those little rubbery phials of lighter fuel. My friends and I would play dogfights for a while and the grande finale was filling the models with the lighter fuel and launching them, alight and smoking, out of the upstairs bedroom window to crash and burn, as so often featured in the films at the time.
My pals used to do much the same Paul.. We all loved it! Great fun :-D

isisalar wrote:These days I'd probably have been taken into care, it was nothing unusual then in those pre Health and safety days.
Sadly and unfortunately yes :( In our day it was not normal if you didn't indulge in such fun and games... It was a great learning process for handling dangerous stuff with care!

And giving us all a sense of adventure... Kids of today are poorer for not enjoying such antics...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

isisalar wrote:Any modelling enthusiasts had better sit down.
As a kid, I'd go down to our local Woolworths with my pocket money and often buy an Airfix kit, usually WW2 planes of some description. After assembly, not once avoiding getting the cement all over the 'glass' bits, I'd go to the local tobacconist and get one of those little rubbery phials of lighter fuel. My friends and I would play dogfights for a while and the grande finale was filling the models with the lighter fuel and launching them, alight and smoking, out of the upstairs bedroom window to crash and burn, as so often featured in the films at the time.
These days I'd probably have been taken into care, it was nothing unusual then in those pre Health and safety days.
Excellent :!: Couldn't find a pic of the lighter fuel capsule but did find a Shell Mex tin!

I imagine they must have been something similar to a "Karvol" capsule.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Exactly that.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
NewcastleFalcon

The Italiian "Airfix"....Italeri

Regards Neil

PS....Speulation here that the kit makers put the wrong model name on the box. The picture is of an Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider 1600...different bonnet to the Alfa Giulietta Spider shown below

Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 29 Nov 2015, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Cannot do any modelling, I have to wash the car today !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I love dioramas.. Brings the models to life :D

I have a model VW just like that...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Heller's 2015 offering also includes the Renault 4, to add to previous incarnation of the species. Paint, brushes, and glue supplied with the kit, .... (lighter fuel not included :) )

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey