Possible timing belt trick

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Possible timing belt trick

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I was watching "Car SOS", where they were restoring a crash damaged 1995 Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R (it was meant to be a husband and wife restoration project, but he was killed in a motorcycle accident before they could get started) when Fuzz (the main mechanic) showed what could be a useful trick replacing a timing belt. He carefully cut the belt the entirety of its length (so that it was, in effect, 2 belts), slid off the 'outer' belt, slid on the new belt as far as it could go, cut the 'inner' belt so that it could fall away, and then finished fitting the new belt. I didn't see him do any tightening or tension checking, but I assume that these were done at some time. The advantage he had was that there were no flanges on the various sprockets or pulleys.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
HDI
My Cars:

Re: Possible timing belt trick

Post by HDI »

Saw that, good tip. Can't see it working on more complex layouts though, like v6's.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

What do we reckon on an HDi? Will be doing my cambelt over Christmas although I have to ask (in a rhetorical manner having done a few) is it really that much of a faff doing it the "conventional way". I can perhaps see it if its a car you are unfamiliar with but getting it to TDC and sticking the bolts/pins on the old Xantin is probably quicker than slicing the belt in half. Might try it just for fun and see if it is any easier/quicker etc.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd say that give the HDi belt is so easy anyway Rory, it won't be a huge benefit..

Even if you do use the 'cut in half' discussed in this thread it's still essential to set the tension on the new belt...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Interesting, something I hadn't thought of - which annoys me :x but as jim says the Hdi is not overly difficult to do just fiddly to get to so I think I will stick with the conventional method.

Peter
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I heard about this method quite a lot of years ago. As I see it, it saves setting the timing, but surely the tension will need to be relaxed to get the new belt on the pulleys.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The BIG issue here is though, you cannot change the PLASTIC rubbish weak tensioners AND ALSO Water Pump is highly advised to change on the HDi too, otherwise it is GAURENTEED to leak after a short while, so, me, I think its a BAD Tip for some cars, but fine for cars with external driven water pumps...

ALSO, a new belt is NEVER the same tension as the old one either... so, me.. I think its really bad, and another thought, why cut corners when you have Timing Pin Holes to lock it all up... Lazy Id say!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

An alternative method is to make your own timing marks on each sprocket and the old belt with something like Tipex.. Remove the belt, and duplicate the marks onto the new belt (I count the teeth as well, just to be sure).
It's a good starting point, and allows one to move the sprockets a bit to facilitate fitting, but I still tension the belt and re-check the timing properly afterwards.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:AND ALSO Water Pump is highly advised to change on the HDi too, otherwise it is GAURENTEED to leak after a short while
Absolutely!

I made this mistake when i changed my very first XUD belt back in 2001. Two weeks later, with snow on the ground, the pump started to leak and it was the same job all over again but this time in the snow :evil:

Whatever the engine, if the water pump drives off the cam belt then change it whilst you’re there.. Same with the tensioners.

And Paul, yes. The belt tension always needs resetting. I critical part of the job...
dnsey wrote:An alternative method is to make your own timing marks on each sprocket and the old belt with something like Tipex..
Seen no end of engines where the 'Tippex Trick' has been used to perfect effect. Very popular on the XU 8V engines where the crank pulley timing hole cannot be trusted...

The 'Tippex Trick' is in fact very good and I've used it myself...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I just lock the camshaft and put a dab of yellow paint on the crankshaft sprocket and the block, having degreased it thoroughly, works every time.

Peter
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Just done my cam belt today and thought I would give this method a go just to see how it went. Slicing the old belt in half was easy, fed the new belt on, removed remaining half of old belt, moved new b;t fully into position, adjusted tension. Job done. Was it any quicker, probably marginally but not really that much in the context of the whole job although it did feel more straight forward. As said, no use if you are changing the water pump as well.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Rory, good to know :D

Risky not to change the water pump or is it quite a new one anyway?
Jim

rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

I'm gambling on the water pump so perhaps I will get my comeuppance. I've not had a water pump failure after a cam belt change in the past and that's in 8 belt changes on Citroens. Even if this one is the exception I'm still up on the deal overall.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have changed many cambelts but have only ever had one water pump fail subsequently - perhaps I have been lucky - except with the one that failed.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good odds!

I must have been unlucky then...
Jim