Xsara - conked out!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dspart57
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 1.9TD 1998

Xsara - conked out!

Post by dspart57 »

My old Xsara has been good as gold for the last few years, so have not been on here for ages. In fact, I couldn't find my login details & I had to register anew.
Anyway, I was driving home yesterday, when with no warning at all, the engine suddenly got very noisy & the power dropped considerably. I stopped & had a quick look under the bonnet, but couldn't see anything wrong. I managed to limp home (only a mile or so), sounding like a tractor & just about getting up a hill in 1st gear.
It's '98 1.9TD (XUD engine). Had a poke around today & still can't see anything obviously wrong, but it now won't start at all. It just turns over, very noisily. I tried pumping the gas pedal a bit & it seemed to go very "soft" - I could push it right down with hardly any force. The fuel filter looks ok - it's only a few months old anyway. The only naughty thing I've done to the old girl is to put the occasional drop of supermarket veg oil in, but only when there was plenty of diesel in the tank, during the Summer. Any ideas, please?
I was sad to hear of the passing of Malcolm Goldberger. I knew him, he was the local Citroen expert. A lovely man & a mine of information!
Thanks.
dspart57
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 1.9TD 1998

Re: Xsara - conked out!

Post by dspart57 »

Car now up for sale - Spares or Repair. See "For Sale & Wanted".
Cheers!