ZX 1.4 Rough Running problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tone depear

ZX 1.4 Rough Running problems

Post by tone depear »

I've re-adopted a 1.4i ZX (1996 elation thing) that I sold a year and a bit ago. It's been stood for 8 months, but it's had a service and MOT last week, and since then, it's done about 200 miles. Suddenly, yesterday, it's started mis-firing. It's not a problem I've ever had before. It seems to be fine while it's cold, then when the temp guage gets above 60 (I think), it suddenly starts missing whenever you try and accellerate, getting gradually worse and worse.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was an Air-mass meter or something, but I'm not sure these even have one. Usually, things like this are a common fault, and everyone can't believe it's not happened before, but it's been going on for two days now, and it seems like it's not just going to go away!
Thoughts I've had, having scoured these forums:
Battery - seems to start without problems, but it HAS been stood, so you never know.
Various sensors
AMM?
Something more sinister?
Obviously I'm keen to sort the problem myself, 'cos I'm poor, and I haven't got time to visit garages.
ANY ideas? Anyone?
tone depear

Post by tone depear »

I've just tried to start it now, and it won't start at all, and the headlights are flashing dim as it chugs.
New battery by 8.00, and hopefully that'll sort it!
(Fingers crossed, please!)
tone depear

Post by tone depear »

Well that didn't work...
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Maybe the battery might sort the car out. Ive heard of a late renault 21 which was running badly and was found that the battery was running low on charge. Changed the battery and the car was running smoothly again. but if this doesnt work then you need to read the engine management fault codes. on late zx 1.4i like mine and yours, the main weak spot on the engine management side of things is the map sensor, and there is a modification for them, which involves moving the map sensor to the suspension turret on the right hand side, the map sensor pipe needs to inclined slightly uptowards the sensor so that petrol cannot get in and ruin it. Before the pipe had to turn through a few tight angles and this lead to petrol getting into the sensor.
But from what you say about that when the temp gets above 60c it misfires i would suspect the engine management temp sensor which is located on the left hand side of the cylinder head near to the themostat housing to be the problem.
tone depear

Post by tone depear »

Well. I feel fairly stupid. (Especially having spent £40 on a battery!)
Water in the plugs. Nothing a lot of duck oil couldn't sort. Have to say though, it's now running better than it ever has, and better than my old 3dr ever did. So if you've got the odd flat-spot on accelleration, a bit of WD40 or something might help!
Obviously, I'm quite glad it's not a MAP sensor, or anything else!