Xantia Estate Rear Wipers and Screen Washers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Xantia Estate Rear Wipers and Screen Washers

Post by elma »

Got a screen cleaning issue with Green, front and rear.
No screen washers at all, they did work when I bought the car. No noise of pump or anything.
I assume it's not the fuse as everything else on the car powers up. Is there anything else to check before taking the arch liner out and testing or replacing the pump. It's not a big problem but I'm neck deep in mud here right now.

Secondly the rear wiper works intermittently, slamming the boot helps. I guess it's going to be a decaying wire on the o/s as the rubber boot looks like it's been tampered with in the past. Am I getting into the right region here or is there a common area to check first?
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: Xantia Estate Rear Wipers and Screen Washers

Post by rory_perrett »

Not sure about the water supply, but I guess its the pump end if you can't hear it running.

I have the same intermittent issue with my estate rear wiper. Sometimes it doesn't work in the normal position and a good slam of the rear door gets it going again. Sometimes it will not work in the normal position but if I flick it round to the wash position it works. My initial reaction was broken wires where you suggested as I have already had to do the boot lock wire and the higher level brake light wire but, and I've not had a look at the wiring diagram but it could be the contacts within the wiper motor and gear assembly. When I took the one that was seized off the car and took it apart they looked pretty worn. Unfortunately it is not possible to service this item so I'm leaving alone as the wiper is currently working most of the time. Will probably go hunt broken wires at some time as my HRW isn't working either but its too cold, dark and wet to worry about at the moment.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

There is one pump motor for both front and rear. It has two outlets as seen in the picture. This is a small pump (smaller than the headlight jets pump) and doesn't make too much noise.

- Defective pump or blown Fuse?
- Water pipe popped up? Common place to start checking is the bonnet and windshield corner.

Check this thread for tailgate wiper motor problem:
---> Xantia Tailgate Wiper Motor
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
elma

Post by elma »

Does the estate use the same rear wiper mech as the saloon?
I'm going to do a bit of multimetering and see if the electrons are making it. If they are I'll strip down as per that thread or just swap with reds one if they are interchangeable.
Washer motor looks like being the motor then, the fuse is fine and the hoses all are too. Weathers not awful today so I'll have a crack at something.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Different motor on the estate. I had trouble with mine, first it seized up, which I freed off as per Vert-vega's thread. Then the wire broke in the hinge. Then it got water in the relay somewhere and it would wipe the screen every time I braked (!). Then one of the power fingers broke off inside and it shorted out and blew the fuse everytime it was plugged in. I tried to repair it, but I couldn't get the pickup in the right place so it still blew the fuse. In the end I decided one of the pickups inside wasn't needed so I cut if off - it then worked OK, except it wouldn't intermittently wipe, but I could live with that. PITA as every time you take the door apart you have to re-seal it!!
Richard W
elma

Post by elma »

Fun and games then! At least I can remove it and tinker indoors. The new shed has a light, I'd better get the workbench out of storage.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

the washer pump is common on most psa cars of the age, if you have a local breakers that still allow you to walk about they are an easy spot, 306/206 etc are in the engine bay, ours in behind the arch guard, i think my breakers charged me £3 for one!! - had a picture on the phone of what i needed for reference,

my rear wiper gave up working long ago, one of the guys mentioned the internals of the relay can become loose which doesnt help, and the usual wires in the body to boot section.
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor