C3 handbrake movement after brake change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

C3 handbrake movement after brake change

Post by charentejohn »

Anyone any idea on how much movement there should be ? Just had the brakes changed and the brake lever now moves twice as far as it did, is this normal and will it go back to where it was once the brakes have been used a bit ?
Seems a bit much but could be that is how it was originally. The handbrake works fine just feels wierd moving it so far, almost vertical. Say was 30degrees before now more like 75.

Ondinary braking as just as it was , no excessive movement at the pedal.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C3 handbrake movement after brake change

Post by RichardW »

Doesn't sound right to me - should come on at between 3 and 5 clicks normally. If the pedal doesn't have excess travel then the cables need adjusting to suit the new brakes - take it back and get them to do the job properly!
Richard W
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Does the C3 have automatic adjusters?
If so, try pressing the brake pedal firmly and pulling the handbrake on at the same time, which might take up the slack.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Yes it does have adjusters, they are along the top with a threaded bar with a ratchet inside a threaded tube. A small metal spring should catch in the ratchet but not sure how well they will work.
When I did my own brakes I always adjusted to a tight fit to the drum before fitting it. Maybe they have left too much slack ?
When I went out a while ago the pedal went quite a way first press then firmed up, that is usually the pistons moving the shoes out then holding position so the footbrake is not right either. I will see if this happens again first thing tomorrow.

I will try the brake press and handbrake to see if I can engage the adjusters, if not back to the garage tomorrow.

That said looking at the photo here these look like they won't always work, needs the footbrake pressed to open the shoes, then the bit of hetal might ? flick under the ratchet and move it, or maybe not. http://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-q ... t1560.html
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Garage fixed it, now works after 3 clicks 4 if I really try. I tried the brakes/handbrake etc but just got a click from under the car when lever was at about 60 degrees, I assume this was the adjuster missing the ratchet.
At first the garage tried stamping on the brakes then wrenching the handbrake up and down dozens of times. My poor car. I think Einstein said that insanity is repeating the same experiment over and over expecting different results. Seems they had never heard of that.
Still all sorted so I can draw a line under it. I did mention to them that I always adjusted the brakes by hand prior to fitting the drum so it just went on, hopefully they will remember that in future.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That Einstein quote does have exceptions. I recall that when we replaced the base units used by Booker C&C they had a special graphics card (so it had to be swapped into the new machine). It was not unusual for the new machine to have an issue as it booted up, and it would produce a few lines of garbage in the top left of the screen. The first time I had this happen I called into Tech Support, and was told that this was a known issue, and the fix was to turn the machine off when it produced the garbage, and then turn it back on and try again (and that it could take 15/30 attempts to clear). I thought they might be taking the mickey, and queried this (but was assured it would work). Sure enough, after a load of power cycles the fault cleared, and the till was able to be used.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!