persistant tensioner pully problem any ideads please?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

persistant tensioner pully problem any ideads please?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello,
for some time perhaps even years I have been having issues with serpentine belt tensioner
pulleys on my Citroen Xantia 1.9TD estate.

I've had 3 very noisy GSF pulleys which seem to wear out very quickly within 18 months
and now I have a much more expensive pulley which seems a lot quieter
without the vibration of the GSF tensioner pulleys but the bolt that secures the pulley to the engine
keeps coming loose over a period of about 6 weeks.

The car has been back to the garage once already to have the securing bolt changed
and the new pulley was fitted in June 2015, the bolt is loose again and has worked its way out
almost completely, thread lock was applied the last time the bolt came out and the old bolt from the GSF
pulley was used instead of the supplied one that came loose but the same thing has happened again.

a couple, of weeks back I started the car and there was a loud screeching sound from one of the pulleys
a particularly damp morning at the time. I even lifted the bonnet to check the pulley and it appeared to be bolted up tight
to the engine block.

Anyone had similar problems with tensioner pulleys? I would be extremely grateful for anything you
might be able to share that could lead to this little problem being sorted once and for all
as it puts my car off the road owing to the hydraulic suspension, steering and brakes
about every six weeks for three or four days and often when the car is needed most.

Thanks in advance . Nigel, :wink:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: persistant tensioner pully problem any ideads please?

Post by lexi »

Is there such a thing as a GSF pulley? Exclusive only to GSF? I mean, who makes it? I would use an INA pulley or similar quality.
The other thing on using Loctite. Every thing must be spotless. Clean out bolt and block threads and degrease with solvent. Then there are about 3 strengths of Loctite, so which one was used? Apart from all that, there may be alignment issues.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Hi Lexi,

I've found this online it says check the belt for shine, I didn't have a chance last night when the pulley came loose
as it was dark and I didn't have a torch with me at the time. Thanks for your suggestions.
already have the much more expensive INA metal tensioner pulley installed in June 2015 replacing the GSF Noisy herbet.
Nearly £100 just for the pulley.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/belt_tensioners.htm

I was wondering if the rubber Cush drive in the crankshaft pulley could be worn out at 188K
throwing everything off balance.

regards.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I was wondering if the rubber Cush drive in the crankshaft pulley could be worn out at 188K
throwing everything off balance.
Possibly. You can do the chalk line test on it. Ime they don't last long though, once they start to separate. Any other rollers in system should be checked as well, including alternator pulleys etc.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
falling-out-with-my-car

This car seems to eat up cambelts and pulleys and all around 24K they don't even last the recommended change intervals of 36K I always have all the pulleys changed
and water pump to. yet otherwise its a very reliable car and I am reluctant to let her go even at 16 years old.