dog bone holding pins ( xantia )

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Raul
My Cars:

dog bone holding pins ( xantia )

Post by Raul »

Hello

The plastic link of the front height corrector keeps popping of. I have changed the cradle for better one , renewed the dog bone and it was good for about 3 months but yesterday it popped off again. Very annoying problem. I do not have the original holding pins of the dog bone. Is it possible that the lack of those holding pins could cause this problem or is it time to get a new cradle.

Raul
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Citroen gs 1,2 pallas 1977
Citroen xantia 1,9 td estate 1996
Citroen Xantia 2.0 hdi 90 2000
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: dog bone holding pins ( xantia )

Post by CitroJim »

No, generally that's not the problem.

Often it's corrosion on the balls them selves that cause it. Corrosion reduces the ball size a little and makes the dog-bone a slightly looser fit.

Also, if you're not really careful fitting the new dog bone it's possible to start a little stress fracture in it that grows over time and makes gradually weaker and looser until it pops off...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

CitroJim wrote:No, generally that's not the problem.

Often it's corrosion on the balls them selves that cause it. Corrosion reduces the ball size a little and makes the dog-bone a slightly looser fit.

Also, if you're not really careful fitting the new dog bone it's possible to start a little stress fracture in it that grows over time and makes gradually weaker and looser until it pops off...
Any way of preventing this? I've got to replace the rear one on mine as it would appear the previous owner decided to cable tie it! I have a new one already but any tips will help as I don't fancy waiting 2 weeks for another in the post!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A tiny smear of grease will do the trick but when I say tiny I really mean tiny...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

CitroJim wrote:A tiny smear of grease will do the trick but when I say tiny I really mean tiny...
Oooops?? I wonder why :?

I had the rusty ball problem several years ago on the rear unit, and applied a lot of grease to the new ball & the new dog bone socket, to ensure it never had any chance of rusting ever again. I've also smeared a bit more grease and oil on it on subsequent visits under the car. Despite the generous greasing, no problems up to now :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Too much grease on the ball itself can cause a hydraulic lock in the ball cup and cause it to split Martin!

Like you I always keep plenty of grease on the external surfaces and that certainly does help keep the wet out...

Once I was a bit too zealous and got an MOT fail for it; the tester thought all the grease was a hydraulic leak!

A quick clean-up and an an explanation resulted in a pass....
Jim

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

CitroJim wrote:Too much grease on the ball itself can cause a hydraulic lock in the ball cup and cause it to split
Ah right, understood. Thanks Jim
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroenCrazy
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi
1999 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi,
C6 2.2 Manual
They're the modern ones.....

Post by CitroenCrazy »

Just a quick one - if the underlying problem is the ball has rusted and hence shrunk in diameter, it is possible to just replace the ball itself.
Citparts sell one - https://www.citparts.at/en/products.php?id_group=144
I've fixed one of my cars this way.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

CitroenCrazy wrote:Just a quick one - if the underlying problem is the ball has rusted and hence shrunk in diameter, it is possible to just replace the ball itself.
Good find!!!

That'll do the height corrector end a treat and also fix a common problem where the old ball, which is riveted in, works loose and then comes off..

It won't help with the ball on the anti roll bar end directly but it can be used with a bit of skilled welding...
Jim

Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

CitroenCrazy wrote:Just a quick one - if the underlying problem is the ball has rusted and hence shrunk in diameter, it is possible to just replace the ball itself.

I ordered a complete new front height corrector ( 350 eur). The dog bone of the back is currently cable tied so I am going to buy this fix. Thanks for the information.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Citroen gs 1,2 pallas 1977
Citroen xantia 1,9 td estate 1996
Citroen Xantia 2.0 hdi 90 2000