406 D9 EW10J4 engine Hydraulic valve on gearBox AL4

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

toh
My Cars:

406 D9 EW10J4 engine Hydraulic valve on gearBox AL4

Post by toh »

Hello friends.

Around 20 000 km before, I had a problem on my AL4. The gearbox was sometime dis-engage on the fly and went to downgrade mode. Hence, I surfed the info from the internet. Finally, I did replacement of 2 pressure regulator valves on the hydraulice valve body. But I did not update any firmware as recommend on the sites because peugeot dealer said me that the update was ended. Here they are,

Later, I notice that there was some noise during running of gear. There was no noise only if the gearbox in N or P position.

Now, the noise is still being but I can not hear it in the car. I can hear it if I down the windows and I am in the narrow road with both side of the road has a wall.

I think the noise come from the valves that I replaced. I dont know if someone has this experience. please share.

And How can I remove this noise?

Thank you.

LOVE is All AROUND.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 406 D9 EW10J4 engine Hydraulic valve on gearBox AL4

Post by CitroJim »

Good work on replacing the valves Toh =D>

Can you describe the noise a little better please?

Or maybe even better, a youtube video of it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

does the gearbox no operate normally apart from the noise ? Is it like a buzzing nose that sounds like someone having a tattoo done ? if so that noise is fairly normal. I can become more noticeable with new electrovalves & fresh clean oil.
As for the software updates, the gearbox & injection ECU's should always be checked for the latest software updates when changing the electrovalves as there are some compatibility issues between the new valves & older software.
toh
My Cars:

Post by toh »

Hi CitroJim, long time never see, How are u?

Thank you wheeler,

The noise is as "wheeler" clearly described. It sounds like someone doing tattoo. It will happen when the gear is not in P or N position and engine is running. However, the gearbox is still working properly.

I did the checking with pp2000. It said the valve is not compatible.

So, this kind of noise is the normal one for AL4. Am I correct?
LOVE is All AROUND.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

toh wrote:Hi CitroJim, long time never see, How are u?
Very well indeed thank you Toh :D How are you?
toh wrote:So, this kind of noise is the normal one for AL4. Am I correct?
If Wheeler says so I'd be more than happy as he surely knows what he's talking about!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The newer AL4's make that 'tattoo studio' noise straight from the factory, you can always tell a C3 fitted with an AL4 in a supermarket car park or at a set of traffic lights without even seeing inside it. :lol:
toh
My Cars:

Post by toh »

CitroJim wrote:
toh wrote:Hi CitroJim, long time never see, How are u?
Very well indeed thank you Toh :D How are you?
toh wrote:So, this kind of noise is the normal one for AL4. Am I correct?
If Wheeler says so I'd be more than happy as he surely knows what he's talking about!
Thank you CitroJim, I'm fine.
What about the weather over there? It is a bit hot here in Pattaya, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya.

As usual, I am looking for something to repair on my 406 to repair... lol
LOVE is All AROUND.
toh
My Cars:

Post by toh »

wheeler wrote:The newer AL4's make that 'tattoo studio' noise straight from the factory, you can always tell a C3 fitted with an AL4 in a supermarket car park or at a set of traffic lights without even seeing inside it. :lol:

Thank you wheeler,

Amazing !!!. So, the "tattoo factory" will be there forever? there is no way to remove it.?
LOVE is All AROUND.
vladd.alex
My Cars:

Post by vladd.alex »

Hello! No update on this topic? This tattoo noise is there forever and normal? I just noticed that my DS3 2011 have it. It thought it is something wrong inside there.