C3 rear brake make id-Bosch or Lucas

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

C3 rear brake make id-Bosch or Lucas

Post by charentejohn »

Just being a bit lazy really as I have done my back a bit and don't want too much bending and twisting.
I have removed the wheel from my 2006 C3 and can see the back plate, to Id the brakes (either Bosch or Lucas) is there a way to tell without removing the drum as this involves bearings and refitting properly. The garage will do this when they do the brake shoe change, I am supplying parts.

So I have to order the shoes, but is there a way to tell from the location of stuff on the rear of the backplate. Can't find a photo of actual C3 Bosch/Lucas backplates anywhere.
Best I can do is this http://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-q ... t1560.html

My backplate is flat with two retainers for the shoes (rods that hold them with springs) level with the bolts connecting to the axle, like the Bosch ones in the photos.
Looks like the Lucas only have one retaining spring ? so is that a help in identifying ?
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C3 rear brake make id-Bosch or Lucas

Post by RichardW »

Post up the last 8 digits of the VIN, and we can see what service.citroen says.
Richard W
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

The numbers are 28640235 but I did look there, it showed both Lucas and Bosch ? Is there a trick to seeing which is correct, i.e. first on the list ?

Edited to add, my backplate has a blanking bolt, item 10 on the Lucas parts diagram, and the Bosch one doesen't seem to have that. Also the Bosch backplate has raised bits where the Lucas is fairly flat so I an 90% sure it is Lucas, but it is a pain to return incorrect parts.
So many inconsistencies, the Lucas only seems to have one shoe retained where the Bosch has both. The Photos I saw seemed to confirm this, shame there is no definitive whay to be sure other than dismantling. Ok for a large garage, take it apart and pop round to the stores who will have most bits.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Well, just ordered the Lucas brake kit http://www.oscaro.com/kit-de-freins-a-t ... 62-1906-gt
Although the garage is fitting it being all in one will save time so should be the same cost in the end, they didn't seem too keen on a brake shoes only deal anyway. Also new brake cylinders as these are 10yrs old now so can't hurt. The Lucs seem to have the spacing lever riveted to the shoe which would be a pain when replacing them

I took photos of the back of the backplate and can see the holes as per the Lucas brakes. Main giveaway was the handbrake cable guide which goes through a slot in the plate just under the axle, I have this. So that and the blanking plug give me confidence it is Lucas, I also noticed the front brakes only have Lucas as an option so took that as a sign. Once fitted I will confirm this, I hope.
Looks like the Lucas shoes in the photo are missing a retaining spring, been guilty of this myself in the past, hence the confusion.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Just had these fitted and so they are Lucas. To check without removing the drum just look for the slot just below the axle and two raised bits just above the clips that hold the shoes. Also the Lucas backplate is flatter than the Bosch.