C5 X7 metal suspension 'crack' noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RustyUK
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 Hdi Saloon
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)
Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 (for sale...)

C5 X7 metal suspension 'crack' noise

Post by RustyUK »

The C5 from hell is taunting me yet again (2.0HDi '59 saloon).

A short while after the turbo was replaced this year, a suspension or steering noise has appeared that seems to defy any attempt to track down. It started off slight, but got louder. I can only describe it as a loud 'crack', which manifests when steering right under some load (gentle driving doesn't trigger it, turning right at some speed does). A short, sharp very metallic 'crack' from the right hand front side, or sometimes two or three in quick succession as though something has moved, which I can just about feel through my feet. Centre up, and soon enough (maybe with enough of a bump) it'll happen again, as though something moved back, and not happen until I steer right again. Doesn't happen turning left.

I can't see any play in the upper balljoint or lower FRIP joint. There's ever so slight axial (up/down) play in the front pivot but according to the citroen docs this is normal. I can't detect anything wrong with the track rod end balljoint.

It can happen when braking, so I doubt it's any movement in the pads or caliper. There's no rumble or usual knocking noises over rough ground, typical of bushes or balljoint failure. Steering feels solid, not at all woolly or misaligned.

No clue if this is also related to having had the subframe removed and all that involved (by the guy who failed to fully bolt back one side of the rack too, but that was sorted). I drive the car infrequently and so far put up with it for at least 1200 miles but with another 400 mile trip at the end of November I don't want to push my luck! I had one garage take a look, but their best guess was the plastic undertray(!) It's certainly more substantial - and metal - than that, whatever the cause.

Any ideas? My best guess so far is still the FRIP bearing thing but without any other signs of play, I'm reluctant to shell out another £70 or so on that and all the hassle of changing it.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 X7 metal suspension 'crack' noise

Post by Stickyfinger »

You cannot test the lower joint loaded, best done on a "shake" ramp......but that is what it will be.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I'm not familiar with the X7 metal configuration, but failure of the bearing at the top of the suspension spring seems increasingly common on some models these days.
RustyUK
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 Hdi Saloon
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)
Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 (for sale...)

Post by RustyUK »

The X7 has double-wishbone suspension so the spring/strut doesn't rotate as the wheel turns, so I doubt whatever-goes-on at the top of the spring is at fault.

I've taken the plunge and ordered a new lower bearing from eurocarcare. I was (maybe naively, certainly over-optimistically) hoping that by changing a 13 year old C5 for ~5 year old one, I'd not have to faff about on weekends with this-and-that for a while! So far the X7 isn't really delivering for me.

I've also had to put masking tape along the inside bodywork where the tops of the doors meet the roof, because that's thus far the only way I can reliably stop the infernal dry-rubber-creaking noises where the the very top strip of rubber makes contact against the paintwork!