Replacing parking light bulbs iForte HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantian 304K
My Cars: Yugo,
Jetta Diesel,
VW Derby,
Samba Talbot,
Renault 11,
Peugeot 405,
Xantias: LX, SX, Forte, Exclusive, Forte

Replacing parking light bulbs iForte HDi

Post by Xantian 304K »

Hello Tribe

This is my first post here as I used to live on on Xantia-L so far.
I need to replace the parking light bulbs in X reg Xantia Forte HDi and (shame on me) I have no clue
how to do it. I did it once in my L reg SX but I think the arrangement was different there.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any prompt either in Hayes or on YT or on the fora as they seem
to focus on the long and short beam bulbs only.

And while I am here, do I need a canal to replace the foglights in the same car? Take the
skirting in the wheel arch out? There's no surround in this model which could be pulled out, like
in older Xantias).

Best to all

Xantian 304K
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Replacing parking light bulbs iForte HDi

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Xantian :-D

Delighted to see you have successfully posted on here. Excellent!

The parking light bulbs. Do you mean the small bulbs in the headlights? They're also known as sidelights...

If so then remove the back cover on the headlight, the same one as you'd remove to change the headlight bulbs and you'll see the bulb holder for the parking lights. Simply pull the bulb holder out and replace the bulb. It's a standard 5W wedge type bulb...

For the life of me I cannot now remember how to change the bulbs in the foglights... Not sure if the bumper needs to come off but I don't think so. I have a belief that if you remove the wing mudshields you can just about reach into th backs of the lights and remove the bulb holder which if memory serves me correctly is a bayonet (twist) fitting...

I'm sure someone else who has done this job recently will soon answer more accurately...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

While waiting for more real-time advice, you might try typing "xantia fog light bulb" into the Google search box near the top right of this page. It should give you some ideas.
Xantian 304K
Jetta Diesel,
VW Derby,
Samba Talbot,
Renault 11,
Peugeot 405,

Post by Xantian 304K »

CitroJim wrote:Hi Xantian :-D

Delighted to see you have successfully posted on here. Excellent! The parking light bulbs. Do you mean the small bulbs in the headlights? They're also known as sidelights... f so then remove the back cover on the headlight, the same one as you'd remove to change the headlight bulbs and you'll see the bulb holder for the parking lights. Simply pull the bulb holder out and replace the bulb. It's a standard 5W wedge type bulb...
There is a small white cylinder-ish shaped white thingy protruding backward from the larger black cylindre which looks like the bulb holder. Unfortunately, it seems to be attached to the body of the reflector so strongly that I am unable either to pull it or to rotate it and it doesn't feel like there is any play to ease it out. :-))) Are there any blocking springs? And, of course, the access is very difficult. On the battery side, if I take the battery out, the access will improve, this still, however, leaves the other side :-)) I need to replace the one on the battery side. Should I take the battery out?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It depends on how slim and mobile your hands are, when you want to do the fog lights. Citroen say you need to take the bumper off to do them (what git thought of that idea? I bet he was an accountant; good way to sting the customers for a few extra quid). I have managed it twice though, without taking the bumper off. You need to raise the car to service high, and support her (you are going underneath a short way), and then, using a good torch, take a proper look at the fog lights, so as to get an understanding of how they are laid out. You will be taking the bulbs out while the assembly is in situ. It was a couple of years ago that I did it, so my memory is a bit foggy. I do know there is a large O ring involved, to help seal the unit from water ingress. I also recall that I had to work blind, as my hands would get in the way. Use latex gloves, as it is almost certain you will touch the glass while fitting it into place (and if you do with bare skin, and don't clean it, it will fail shortly after you have fitted it, as the grease will burn).

Once you are happy you can visualise how things are, carefully reach up to the bulb holder (space is tight; you are probably going to scrape your hand slightly. Depends on how big your hands are), and turn it through 90 degrees. I think (but I am not certain) that they turn in opposite directions, depending on which light you are working on. Once it has released, bring it down to below the bumper (the cable is captive, but there should be enough length on it. Remove the failed bulb, replace it (it is just a push fit, IIRC, and not a tight one, it may drop out), check the O Ring is in its place, and then return the holder back to the assembly. It is VERY likely the bulb or the O Ring will drop out of place, it can get frustrating. Once it is all in place, turn the holder back into place (there is a latching point so it does not come loose), and then have a drink and do the other one!

As it was a few years ago I may be a bit foggy on this, but I think I am right.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 27 Oct 2015, 07:43, edited 2 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xantian 304K wrote: There is a small white cylinder-ish shaped white thingy protruding backward from the larger black cylindre which looks like the bulb holder. Unfortunately, it seems to be attached to the body of the reflector so strongly that I am unable either to pull it or to rotate it and it doesn't feel like there is any play to ease it out. :-)))
That's it!

The problem is that they get quite warm in use and melt a little which results in them getting stuck quite fast... Do remove the battery for netter access but be sure you have your radio security code first!

keep tweaking and teasing the bulb holder and it will eventually come free but don't force it too hard or it will crack and break.. Go gently!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantian 304K
Jetta Diesel,
VW Derby,
Samba Talbot,
Renault 11,
Peugeot 405,

Post by Xantian 304K »

The melting would explain why I cannot pull it out. Thanks, guys. Sadly, this seems to suggest that if I cannot dislodge it, I'll need a pair of new headlights. Sacré bleu!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Keep (gently) trying! Twist and tease...
Jim

Xantian 304K
Jetta Diesel,
VW Derby,
Samba Talbot,
Renault 11,
Peugeot 405,

Post by Xantian 304K »

Twisting and teasing does it indeed. Done! Thanks, CitroJim.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xantian 304K wrote:Twisting and teasing does it indeed. Done! Thanks, CitroJim.
Excellent =D> Delighted it has all worked out :-D
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

He has seen the light that we call.................. "Jim the Enchanter"
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:He has seen the light that we call.................. "Jim the Enchanter"

One of my favourite scenes (of many!) from one of my very favourite films... Monty Python and the Holy Grail :-D :-D :-D

Love it!
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Eggs I can normally do (subject to moulting) but I draw the line at a ROCKERY
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Eggs I can normally do (subject to moulting) but I draw the line at a ROCKERY
All the raw materials for one are virtually next door to you Alasdair :wink:
Jim