Kban long adventure...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

citroenxm

Kban long adventure...

Post by citroenxm »

Some have seen parts of this from Club XM.. others not... the car has had the largest adventure of all the XMs ive got/had... prehaps except YOG who is still here with me and of course my V6 24v manual..

Well.. the Sd from the lakes finally arrived tonight.. ok it was dark when it got here but what i could see of in the dark there's a bit to do..

The ok bits.. she starts perfectly the turbo sounds good.
Bosch pump of course..
decent dip stick
bonnet lamp still works.
strut tops are ok.. surface rust on the base plates and cracks in the rubber but actually still very useable.
rear tyres are very good
only 106 k and a fair few mots to back it up.
factory no Abs on this Sd. was always an option on D and Sd models and standard on sed
Good pair of side lights

the bad..

exhaust shot basically
no dipped beam (relay i know)
glove box release handle broke and gas strut dead
drivers door card not fitted
spheres all flat
front tyres shot
clutch heavy and biting at top
Rear passenger quarter glass been smashed. shattered with a small hole in it.. Grrrrr these are impossible to change. not sure what Im gonna do with that.
rear drivers side window stuck open
rear centre lens with reversing lights cracked.. also cracked a bit of the boot lid..
a usual dent on the near side panel

ive not seen it in day light so need a closer look which i shall do Saturday.

so overall.. not decided what to do. looks like the car really could do with a clutch.. could make a sell on or a project. what puts me off is the lack of Abs though that's one less thing to play up at mot time..

there IS a tow bar.

Oh and... the Cill appear to feel quite solid too from what i could tell... ill get a heavy scanner on them Saturday.
if i can get everything done easily enough i may mot this one for myself.. ive got everything i think.. Depends what the front disks are like i realise she has Sat for five months so there's no surprise that they were a bit crap...

the parking brake was very stiff too.. Im assuming the cables be a bit seized...

Ok.. finally got to see it in daylight today...

Firstly, sorted the stuck back window... It was simply the centre console switch, changed it for another and hey presto, up it went!

Worth it for the side lights alone.... :D :D (above and below)

I discovered tonight that the front spheres though look extreamilly shot on the outside have actually got movment in them!!

Stut tops are serviceable too..

Then, ah, the dent on the side....

Then I tapped the side of it...

Out it popped leaving just a 50p size dint just above the crease line! Result!

The Broken window above.. grrrr

Broken rear end too...

But those are the worse.... Looks a lot better now the window is sorted..

So there we have it. Already made a start, starts perfectly, window sorted, good front spheres..

Looking at it, only really needs an Exhaust (got) dipped beam sorting (relay as useual) pair of front tyres (also got at a push on another car)

Still need to get under her and check out the pipe work etc etc...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Re: Kban long adventure...

Post by citroenxm »

Also had to take couple more pics...

Well, this evening I got a DRY EVENING!! Yaay...

Got the car backed up onto the ramps and had a look under neath... while backing up, the exhaust fell away completely, so it has no exhaust from the front box backwards...

Anyway, first thing to get the rear reacting to lever movements... The Rod has a 16mm nut on the end that the "bars" act against to control the height corrector.. it was a litle stiff... anyway, I slackend off the nut and put some lube on there... ALL working again..

There it is below the height corrector under the anti roll bar..

Got the car to the correct height, rear end SOLID!

Quick look in the shed, found some 2008 Hydractive spheres... I knew they were from the tiny hole in the centre... So off with the old to find they had both ruptured the membranes...

5 mins later... Wow, now the car has full movement.. Though the height corrector is still a bit slow to react... its liekly to be from sitting for too long. Anyway.. rear end movement restored.

Checked the rear pipe work by feel more then anything on top of the subframe, all felt nice and smooth so currently pleased with that.. The Near side strut feed pipe was the worst corroded.. quite bladly, but not leak threatening... Will do for now with some under seal painted on it.

Took some more chassis pictures before taking the car off the ramps...

Im pleased to report that on this one Ive NO subframe mount welding to do....

Took the car off te ramps and put the front up... only to find the engine UNDER TRAY COVER still fitted!!!!!

Left it for now, had a look at drop links and ball joints and pleased to see theres no split gaiters or joints and all look good.

Disks however, need replacment.. rather rusty, and Ive got caliper issues, they are biting on, but the pads are rather low, ALL expected! So far though, SO GOOD... :D :D :D :D

WELL PLEASED!

Total added cost so far: £0 ;)

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

made a start on the front brakes yesterday before i got rained off.. swapped the nearside pads to find amazingly that neither the callipers piston, slide bar nor hand brake lever were NOT seized in anyway.. if anything the parking brake cable is what's seized and causing a stiff foot brake.. besides its split in the usual place..

so well pleased with that..

but that's all to report for today..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Bit more this evening, well just a tiny bit...

The car had no Dip beam, but Full beam and side lights worked... Checked bulbs, checked as blown on the drivers side.. Fitted another still no dip.. Ah ! Lights relay. And hey presto, it was. Swapped the relay for another full lighting restored.

Also a rear tail light out... bulb swap, sorted! All lighting restored to working. Only one front fog light currently working, but not an mot issue.

Next to do list that still needs dooing is as follows:

fit drivers side front pads,
find out why the blower doesn't work,
find drivers door window switch harness and switchs. Door card removed and harness missing for some reason.
Front washers not working, cant even hear either washer motor working.. Hope its only a fuse!
Remove rear wheels to check rear calipers arent siezed, check pads and discs.
Fit exhaust from the down pipe backwards. Actually, the centre section that was hanging off the car is in serviceable condition.
Fit pair of front tyres

go for an MOT.

Then engine service inc coolant, water pump and cam belt.
Fit an accumilator sphere which is a little tired now.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Latest development...

Paid the car a visit tonight to have a look at a NON OP Blower motor...

Removed the motor to find it was siezed.. Ok.. Plugged another one in, still no go.. Checked for power, with the engine running, no power..

Fuse missing in the fuse box, so fitted it, and then there was a constant 12v at the blower with even the key on.. Connected the motor, and it ran, but ran at a single speed.. Not Max speed but inbetween.

No reaction to the speed regulator.. so currently, dash completely dismantled to get at the blower control circuit board...

But, the Hmmmmm is, that even with the control panel disconnected and off the car, key on, blower motor STILL goes!

So theres a by pass or something here, but not sure where to start. Otherwise, what else could I be looking at to have the motor going at a single speed regardsless???

:?

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Well, did a little bit more this after noon..

Firstly ignored the blower issue for now - posted else where, as im scratching my head on it - I decided to return the drivers door card to the door as it was on the back seat.

An issue though, the window switch harness to door plug was missing.. After a quick search in the shed I found another harness, which was for the one touch feature.. and found a one touch control box.. so fitted the harness then to find the window was dead. Control box worked, could hear the box clicking correctly.. After checking the connector to the window motor, 12v was present at the correct button press's.. so the conclusion, a dead motor.

And it was.. upon removing the present one though I found it was alread a replacment... but it was dead. So need to look into that, why the motor is dead..

So, replacment fitted AFTER Finding 5 passenger ones!!! and the only drivers one, fitted the winder and got the door card all back on... and all fitted well.

Then it started to rain.. crap! So thats all again..

Any help on the blower in my other post would be brill... ALSO the direction flow controller is also a bit crappy and not very smooth. Problem is, Ive not got another S1 control panel..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

One more step further on tonight briefly...

Tried another blower tonight, and hey presto! While holding the fan in my hand, I switched the key on, and it twitched... Started the car and wooo hooooo slowly it turned... turned the dial up, and up in speed it went... So its not the control panel..

Anyway.. get some transisters now and fit them to the other one that was non responsive..

Another Job done... Yaayy...

Still need to address the stiff direction controller.. Are the cables accessable easilly from beind the dash at the Heater End?? anyone know? I know I cant get at it at the panel despite the dash being stripped right down to the panel..

So.. STILL to do...

Front Drivers Pads
Change the parking cables - they are siezed slightly.
Check rear pads/calipers.
Fit an exhaust from the down pipe back.. Just need to find the front small box intermediate section
got the rest of it..
Fit Pair of front tyres.
Get an MOT.
Tackle the engine then! :D

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

Paul, I thought you lived in Anglesey, have you moved to Yellowknife?

Good luck with the project, I admire your dedication!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Its not the cable, or the dial.. Its Actually the heater unit itself!

Its a rather complex setup on the heater itself... The cable moves a "cog" that operates three different levers... One at the rear of the heater box, one at the front.. and a third lever that moves the vent flap...

Anyway, its controled by a plastic tooth cog, that flimsey .. and it "Skips" teeth.. I discovered its skipping the front flap controller... After a bit of messing by hand, I have set it on Windscreen and Feet setting... Which will have to do for now untill I work out what to do next or how..

Its virtually the opposite way to the Xantia setup.. Where theres Two Cables to the slider on the Xantia unit that operates the two flow flaps, theres one single cable that connects to the Cog the drives the three flow flaps..

Not sure which is best...

Anyway, Blower sorted, direction flow set for now...

Thats it for now.

Managed to do some more today...

I still needed to do the off side pads, so got onto that today...

Moving the car around the yard, the brakes had a strange "Snatch" on.. anyway, got her jacked up, removed the front wheel, and found the following:

Notice anything strange?????

Look closely!

Thats right, apart from the pads being on the metal, the friction has SHEARED away from the centre! So the car was braking on the rear brakes! Least I know they work, but will still remove the wheels for a check over!

The other job was the siezed Near Side parking brake cable... Swapped that too..

Refitted a set of NEW discs (foolishly didn't take a pic for evidance BUT I have put them on) :D and new pads... Tried again, and wow, normal braking resumed!

Im also impressed to see the Caliper Piston dust covers are BOTH intact on the calipers. So other then rust, this car has had some previous care..

Anyway..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Dickie, this project has been going on for the last three years, over on Club XM, but many on here dont go there... This is getting copied across from Club-xm.

The car is almost done ready for her next new owner..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ah now what I did forget to say on the Nearside disk swap was this:

After removing the caliper, I gave the disk a good lump hammer a few times, NOT budging! NOT an ounch! An article in car mechanics from about 12 years ago came to mind when they couldn't remove a disk.. They had bought a Manderin 2.1 D XM as a project, and they couldn't shift the front disks, but they Cold Chiseld them off, but I decided a different method..

The Bottom ball joint house, lies in line with the disk inner, my landlord at the farm had a long bar with a tapered end on it, so I pressed it between the ball joint house and disk, then smacked the bar in a bit, then hit the disk outwards, then the bar in a bit, and het presto the disk started moving, and heres the stupid bit, a bit more bar and disk movment, the disk finally gave way, HOWEVER, so did the bar, and whos foot was under it all.... YUP Mine!

The disk missed me, but because I was useing two hads on the hammer the bar had no support, and yes, it landed on my foot.... Today though, theres not even a bruise, but I can still feel the bar on my foot!

Theres the full disk sarga, all done now...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

DickieG wrote:Paul, I thought you lived in Anglesey, have you moved to Yellowknife?

Good luck with the project, I admire your dedication!
My thoughts exactly Richard - I did wonder if it was an ancient post until I checked the date.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Removed scuttle panel, and hoovered all the leaves and snail shels out etc. Robbed a good right hand display from the D base model car, and started re assembling the dash.. then forgot what screws held the Heater Curcuit board to the body... so stopped again...

Side tracked to cleaning up the outside, leaves etc and then moved to the washers.. No motor noise's at all, so pulled the arch liner out, more cob webs etc to hoover out, anyway, swapped both washer motors, hey presto life.. but still no water... Turned out the jets were blocked.. So swapped them too! Normal washer service resumed...

So a little vaccuming around the inner arch, I came across a weak patch... just behind the bottom part of the wing, and down to the out rigger.. Not a hard weld, but OK to do....

Removed rear wheels, pipe work at the calipers is ok, but she needs rear pads.. so thats to do too.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Small progress on my part today, however, the Visit from Johnathan was great. Good to see you too Johnathan...

Anyway. I gave Johnathan the task of removing the seats and getting the carpet up and seeing what the underlay was like.. He did a sterling job, and tackled the mess on the rear passenger foot well carpet.. got the carpet out all together and then lifted the Foam underlay, it was soaking due to an open window for some time.. it was wet under there on the drivers side only, so he lifted that all out too... Brill stuff Johnathan, well pleased with your work...

As for me while this was all going on, I decided to jack up the front passenger side and tackle the rust hole.. To my horror today, I found ANOTHER hole to tackle, on the identical side on the drivers side!! Luckily they are a nice easy bit to weld..

Anyway, I made a start on the passenger side one..

So, cleaned up ready... made the plate to shape ready to put in, Plugged the welder in, only to find.. NO GAS ! Aaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Well, I am proud to announce PROGRESS.... :lol: :lol:

Thats the passenger hole sowed up...