ZX TD Head gasket? + ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MarcusB
My Cars:

ZX TD Head gasket? + ?

Post by MarcusB »

Great Forum, been reading for ages, unfortunately now got something to post[:(]
Brief history:
1. Fitted new battery, everything seemed fine, and this is probably coincidental.
2. Next evening (not particularly cold): tried to start, but engine would not turn over - felt like starter was engaging but something was stopping it turning. It's never done that before. Popped the bonnet but didn't see anything untoward (not quite sure what I was looking for [:I]). Anyway, on about the 3rd try, it started as normal and sounded and drove fine.
3. Drove for 10-15 mins and noticed that the heat wasn't working, and started paying attention to the temperature gauge. It moved off the bottom fairly steadily, went past the "80" where it normally lives and then rapidly reached the top, wobbled about a bit and then dropped to the bottom and stayed there.
4. Pulled over and turned engine off, gave it a few minutes to cool, and then opened radiator cap. System was under pressure and a fair bit of water (warm) came out. There were a few minor leaks around radiator, but nothing visible on engine (hard to be sure cos was pretty dark!).
5. Started engine (no probs this time), and revved it a bit. Pressure had built up again - coolant streamed out.
6. Rescue guy was pretty sure it was head gasket and car got towed home.
have looked at previous posts and looks like it is a head gasket, but I'm a bit worried about the starting problem beforehand, and also the thermostat - is the thermostat close to the engine and does it give a true readout (say if airlocks had developed or pump failure)? Is the head gasket failing a symptom of some other problem?
Also, as I've not got the facilities or expertise to do this myself, how much am I looking at?
Thanks,
Marcus
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

The failure to turn the engine over on the starter sound like hydraulic lock in one or more of the cylinders, probably caused by a failed HG between a waterway and a cylinder causing the cylinder to fill up with coolant. The pressurised water system point to this as well.
Fixing the head gasket will sort both problems out. Don't run it like it is though - the cooling system will "blow apart at the seams" as it isn't designed to run at cylinder pressures. Something will give way, hopefully not the heater matrix which is a dashboard out job to replace.
Have a search through the board for prices - it's not too expensive a fix.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

i agree with arry b, but if it has overheated be prepared as head my have cracked. this happend to me
MarcusB
My Cars:

Post by MarcusB »

thanks for the replies. I'm afraid edd001 is right and the head is cracked. Gasket was by no means "as new" but no obvious faults.
Anyone know the difference between a "replacement" head and a new head (both from Citroen)? Garage seem to think it's the same but cheaper.
I presume it's worth having this fixed, otherwise I've got a big lump of scrap metal on my hands...
cheers
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Eeekk" get it fixed!! its a great lil car and you wont get another anywhere near as good without spending a small fortune..
Have the car serviced regularly, change its oil and filter every 4,000 miles ish and it will last for many more 1,000's of happy, comfortable, economic miles.. [^]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

In my experience (I have done far too many head gaskets on these engines) the head rarely cracks unless its been driven without water until it stops! have you a decent engineering works near you where you might get it checked, It will need skimming anyway but an experienced eye will tell you whether there are cracks, take the old gasket with you, the engineer will very likeley point out where its failed (does not look like much to us untrained eyes)pressure checks are not a lot of use usually and at my local chap cost twice what a skim does. dont give up, any turbo head 1.7 or 1.9 will fit as will cams etc.
Stewart
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

In my experience (I have done far too many head gaskets on these engines) the head rarely cracks unless its been driven without water until it stops! have you a decent engineering works near you where you might get it checked, It will need skimming anyway but an experienced eye will tell you whether there are cracks, take the old gasket with you, the engineer will very likeley point out where its failed (does not look like much to us untrained eyes)pressure checks are not a lot of use usually and at my local chap cost twice what a skim does. dont give up, any turbo head 1.7 or 1.9 will fit as will cams etc.
Stewart