esp/asr fault periodic and no antipollution fault.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kseagle
My Cars: Citroen C5 Estate (break) 2.0 16v from year 2004

esp/asr fault periodic and no antipollution fault.

Post by kseagle »

Hello Everybody.

First of all thank you for letting me in on your forum. I'm from Denmark so I am sorry if my English isn't the best. I'm not using it as much as I properly should.

I am the proud owner of and Citroen C5 Break 2.0 16v from 2004 (series 1), but have at problem with it that's become a thorn in my side because I have run out of options to try.

I'm having the ESP/ASR fault but not the Antipollution fault. Some times when i start the car everything is fine and sometimes the light comes on. Then i take it for a drive and the next time I start it after shopping its gone. There is no pattern to the fault or to what petrol I use on the car. It's like it haves a mind of it own.

First i thought it could be the EGR valve because the fault always came when I didn't hear the EGR valve clicking on ignition. So i bought a new one and still the same. When the ESP light comes on i still don't hear the EGR valve clicking so it could still be around there the problem is.
I got the cleaner for intake and EGR and used it with no succes.
I followed a guide on youtube how to measure the voltage and got one pin that doesn't meet the voltage it should on ignition. That worry me because it is directly connected to the cars ECU as far as I'm aware.

I have cleaned out the throttle body manually even, that gave me another fault which cost me a new gas pedal.

I can't seem to find the air mass flow sensor on my car to tjek if that's giving me trouble. I've tried almost every link on google to read up on the fault with no luck. I am a member of af Danish Citroen site but got no answer I can use unfortunately.

So I'm running out of patience and really want to get the fault fixed because I am very happy about the car.

I hope some of you have an idea what is giving me the trouble or what to check next.

Thanks in advance :-) and again sorry for the bad English (hope its gonna be better)

Best Regards

Kent.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: esp/asr fault periodic and no antipollution fault.

Post by vborovic »

Your english is just fine, however, I don't see the reason for looking into the EGR and fuel situation, if you have an ESP/ASR error ... the first order of business would be to get the car on a diag unit (Lexia/DiagBox) and to get the car to tell you what is bothering it ...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

May be a stab in the dark but isn't this usually a failed yaw sensor?

Agreed on the command of English V.
kseagle

Post by kseagle »

Well the reason why I started looking in to the EGR valve was that every time I get the ESP light the EGR valve doesn't make the diagnostic clicking on ignition so i thought it must have something to do with it but a new one didn't change that. Though its still the same with the new one. When it doesn't click on ignition it light up ESP.

My plan was to get someone with Lexia to read the car out but in Denmark the private persons with Lexia is very small number and very few mechanics have it so it is the expensive trip to citroen for the read out, but if someone had the same problem as I it would be the first I try.

What is a yaw sensor? can't seem to translate it. Is it the crank sensor or the camshaft sensor you talking about?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is unfortunate but we have no Lexia owning members in Denmark.
Closest is Ben in Sweden :(
kseagle

Post by kseagle »

Well I got to get a read out on the car with lexia thats for sure.

Okay I got a little wiser but where is that yaw sensor located on the engine?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I was under the impression that it was in the centre console near the gearstick.
This review seems to confirm that but it is a bit vague. Way down near the bottom.
kseagle

Post by kseagle »

I agree with you on that. I will have a look in the next couple of days and try to find out where exactly it is hidden.

At the same time maybe try to get a reservation for the read out and hope it got some codes stored in the ECU I can use to narrow down the problem.

I think the car is worth it and I don't want to begin being cheap about it at this point where I've already used about 600£ (6000 Danish kr). It doesn't come cheap any of it.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Remember the read out will need to be from a Lexia system, "normal" OB readers don't give the details you will need.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
kseagle

Post by kseagle »

Thanks. I will remember. I have an all around OBD reader and it can give me som codes but I know the car is keeping some of them from me because of the lack of the lexia reader.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You need this on Lexia or a decent diagnostic device, there is no point in guessing or going in blind. I wouldn't be looking at anything on the engine management side of things at the moment as the engine management light is not coming on with the ESP light. The yaw sensor is behind the handbrake lever under the centre console but I can't say I've ever had to replace one.
This could be anything from a faulty ABS/ESP ecu to a faulty brake light switch. The steering wheel angle sensors in the com2000 units are fairly common failures on the C5 for ESP faults.
kseagle

Post by kseagle »

Thanks ;-).

I will be booking an appointment at the lokale Citroen dealership/garage to get the read out done on my C5 before I buy or mess around with anything on the car. Today there haven't been a single problem with it, so you can se why my hair is getting all grey :-D.

I hope the car has something in store for me to look at when its been tested.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

I used to get this message on my MK1 when i had new tyres put on. The wheel alignment was slightly out and the steering wheel sat at 1 o'clock when the car was going straight. I had an alignment done so the wheels/steering wheel were all pointing in the same direction and the fault disappeared.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

ABS/ESP faults could also be something as simple as a failing ABS sensor. I've had this fault intermittently on my C6 for a few months now. When reading the codes with a Lexia I'm getting a fault on the left rear ABS sensor.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel