Google Chromebooks...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

We're digressing slightly, but yes a "smart cable". If you wanted to spy on someone you'd probably swap their charger/cable for a facsimile that hoovered up data, people would never think to check their charging peripherals - just the device itself.

I consider Google to be an ethically repellent company, I know someone who worked for them a while and their character - plus the fact that Google saw them as a good executive type - merely fleshed out my opinion. If I put what I see as the "nut" of Jim's daughter's situation into a simple question, it would be:

Do you consider Google or Apple to be more likely to "ransom" your need for continuing access to cloud-based computing?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: Do you consider Google or Apple to be more likely to "ransom" your need for continuing access to cloud-based computing?
Both equally and add Microsoft into that equation too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Google Chromebooks...

Post by CitroJim »

Robyn chose this one after much deliberation...

Tohsiba CB-30 Chromebook

Looks a nice machine and gets some good press...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I hope that it is a good choice (being Toshiba it should be). If you are getting it through John Lewis then you know that they will look after you. They value their reputation very highly and defend it much as a mother crocodile will defend her young.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: If you are getting it through John Lewis then you know that they will look after you. They value their reputation very highly and defend it much as a mother crocodile will defend her young.
Indeed, they chuck in a second year warranty and I can collect it tomorrow from my local Waitrose... Just the job :-D
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Christmas isn't for 2 months though, so either Robyn will have to wait, or you give it to her a bit early.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's Robyn's birthday in a couple of weeks James and this is a combined Christmas and Birthday present so she'll have it on her birthday!
Jim

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

my daughter has one at school (she's 9), we tell her to leave it at school as we have enough at home, there's no need for children her age to Have to be so entwined with A computer,
now hers is a Samsung one, seems a decent bit of kit if your after a machine to go on the internet, but if you switch the wifi off at home its not a great deal of use!! Its speed is down to no effective OS like apple or microsft, but it does mean that everything is stored on the google drive cloud, so no internet kind means minimal use!
i am sure there are work arounds but we have never looked into it, we dont need it here as either the wifes or my tablet will do the same job, the girls 30quid android tablet has stopped working now but it did the same! the main computer and net book do it all and more, we were against them in school - they pushed them in at year 3 (6-7 year olds),
the school have Loads of them for the pupils, but the teachers still use Laptops! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Timmo, that's interesting. I know nothing of Chromebooks and what you've said there make their utility seem rather limited. Does the Google cloud not work as the Microsoft OneDrive does and stores a local copy on each PC you log into so that you can work on stuff off-line?
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That would suggest we are going down the route Larry Ellison had planned, in that we would have dumb terminals and everything was held off line at Oracle's locations. Seemed like we would be taking a massive step backwards; weren't PCs developed to limit the impact when a mainframe went down and all the users were unable to work?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Computer
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:weren't PCs developed to limit the impact when a mainframe went down and all the users were unable to work?
Yep :D That was one reason James...
Jim

paauul
My Cars: Citroen AX, Peugeot 206

Post by paauul »

Back to OP's question. I had an Asus Chromebook and loved it. Cheaop and very nity. Could take it anywhere and as long as there was wifi just open it up and get going. Perfect for a kid I think. What do they need all the bells and whistles of a mac for?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

paauul wrote:Back to OP's question. I had an Asus Chromebook and loved it. Cheaop and very nity. Could take it anywhere and as long as there was wifi just open it up and get going. Perfect for a kid I think. What do they need all the bells and whistles of a mac for?
Indeed, my daughter is loving hers :-D
Jim

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Brilliant, I'd meant to ask. Tempted by one myself when the macbook gives up this year.