Google Chromebooks...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Google Chromebooks...

Post by CitroJim »

Daughter Robyn wants a Google Chromebook for Christmas...

I am very happy to get her one but I know nothing of these devices and would be pleased to receive any advice/recommendations/good suppliers and so on..

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Google Chromebooks...

Post by elma »

Dads very happy with his, I'll ask what model and his opinions later on.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Why not let her specify exactly the model? That way there is no wondering if you got it right.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Why not let her specify exactly the model? That way there is no wondering if you got it right.
Because she knows not exactly which one she'd like and like me is keen for some recommendations...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Dads very happy with his, I'll ask what model and his opinions later on.
Thanks James, that'll be excellent!
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

They're only offering three variants here - does the UK get more options? Don't think any have touch screens. Presume it requires a tether if you're not in your normal WiFi orbits.

I note the two years "free" cloud access, wonder what it costs thereafter?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:does the UK get more options?
Just a few! This quick search on Amazon brings up loads...

You see now why I'm seeking as much advice as possible!
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The £999 unit should cover most vagaries. ;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:The £999 unit should cover most vagaries. ;)
Yep, Hoping not to spend that much or Robyn would be getting what she really wants... A MacBook...
Jim

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Dads is a low end Toshiba that was around £200. He says "It's quite good actually, works instantly. There was an Asus for £250 in the shop that was even faster and I wish I bought that. Only negative is the screens not amazing." He's not sure which model it is exactly and will check soon as he left it at work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When anybody asks me to advise them on what computer to get, I suggest they draw up 3 lists (and to make sure the lists are realistic) as to what they need the computer to do and have. The lists are "Must have" (and 100% must be achieved for it to be considered), "Highly Useful" (75%), and "Would be Nice" (50% here). Then they should start checking the options, and see which one comes out best. Word of mouth can also help.

I was in PC World Newbury today (working on the Carphone Warehouse systems), and they had a few clearance items, including Asus Chrome systems. I cannot remember prices or specs though; sorry about that.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks James, that's not a bad idea to make up some lists... A job for Robyn :wink:
Hell Razor5543 wrote: I was in PC World Newbury today (working on the Carphone Warehouse systems), and they had a few clearance items, including Asus Chrome systems. I cannot remember prices or specs though; sorry about that.
I saw some of their deals on their website... It'll be mail order as I hate going into any shop to buy anything IT-related.. Past experiences have been very traumatic... :evil:

Actually, I can expand that.. I hate going into any shop to buy anything to be honest... How women actually enjoy shopping is totally beyond me... :?
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Is this a serious purchase? Or does she basically want a shiny new laptop?

I'm sort of puzzled because to my mind there's a long way between a MacBook and a lappy configured by Google. If you run and prefer using other iDevices the MacBook is a no-brainer. Apple products don't really tango nicely with Android devices in a few critical ways, same can be expected with Google's cloud based system.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Is this a serious purchase? Or does she basically want a shiny new laptop?
She uses a (loan) Chromebook at University, hence why she wants one so from that point of view it is a very serious purchase...

For social, domestic and pleasure purposes, she is firmly wedded to her iPad.. Her little sister has a MacBook, a present to herself for working hard between Uni semesters...

We all love the MacBook 8-) Even me!
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Based on what I have learnt today, I will never buy an Apple product for myself. Recently they have managed to make their USB cables with an electronic serial number. Now their latest phones will not accept a non Apple USB cable (and theirs are a little more expensive than the others (read a LOT more expensive!)). It looks like they are severely trapping their current clientele, and then charging them extortionate prices for the privilege!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!