My XM didn't pass the MOT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Christian S
My Cars:

My XM didn't pass the MOT

Post by Christian S »

I had to take my XM to MOT today.

Otherwise I wasn't allowed to drive it a meter except from to and from workshop and MOT.

Well, at the MOT the inspector took his hammer and nocked on the undercarriage.

Just at the front subframe under all hydraulic pipes, the hammer went through the subframe.

Rust! Rust!! Rust!

And a tiny small brake pipe in left wheel house was corroded and the control lamp for Airbag didn't light up.

The last two errors are more easy to fix.

But how about the subframe?

He didn't pass the whole subframe. What to do? Try to weld the rust hole, clean the rest of the subframe from rust and soak it with dinitrol or something?

Or is it a better idea to try to find a used subframe and replace it?

I can understand why it's so corroded. It stood outdoor in a garden for almost a year or a year and a half.
Vid min Cittra vill jag kvittra
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: My XM didn't pass the MOT

Post by CitroJim »

In the UK at least, subframe welding is a bit of a difficulty... Here it is, as I understand, not permitted to weld a rusty subframe that's been the cause of an MOT failure but if the subframe is replaced with one that has been welded in the past or if the welded repair is made for reasons other than an MOT fail then all is OK... That's how I understand it anyway so in your neck of the woods it might be worth checking your MOT regulations..

Where exactly has it gone? Have you any picture you can post up? It'lll then gibe a better idea of how easily a repair might be carried out or indeed if it is feasible to carry out a repair...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

I am to understand the air bag light not coming on is not a fail only an advisory, work at mot station.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

waynedance wrote:I am to understand the air bag light not coming on is not a fail only an advisory, work at mot station.

As the OP is from Sweden their MoT equivalent might have different requirements than to the UK.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Christian S
My Cars:

Post by Christian S »

The airbag lamp must light up at self check. It's the same with ABS and side airbags.

It's allowed what I know to weld the subframe. I think it's a major job to change the whole subframe. The powertrain must be taken away, doesn't it?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, changing the subframe is a big job... http://www.club-xm.co.uk may be able to explain what is involved in subframe replacement.. XMs in the UK suffer rust in the subframes very badly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

I would say give them a call, if it's Opus: 0775-500 300, or Bilprovningen: 0771-600 600 (there is another but the name escapes me). They'll be able to give you the most definitive answer on what will pass the re-test.

Wayne, unfortunately as I've found out, in Sweden, any advisories become required fixes for the retest upon a failure (as advisories in Sweden should be sorted within a reasonable amount of time, so they get earmarked for re-testing at the retest).
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Did not see he is not from UK…. Doh

Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Subframe swap is a reasonable job but much less involved than engine removal for sure, in my head I'm counting 18 bolts and some piping to be unlipped, swap the steering rack over, height corrector, arb, Hydractive hydraulics and electrics and slide the new one back in, its no 5 minute job but its not the end of the world either.
Pictures would help, has it rusted along the front cross member or on the lower face inboard of the wishbone bushes?.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Christian S
My Cars:

Post by Christian S »

Hello!

Here are pictures taken yesterday
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A ... der%2cjpeg
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I thought XM's lasted forever, sadly my last one went some months ago, rusted around the windscreen aperture. I would like to have had it repaired but it wasn't economically viable. :(

Peter