My diesel smells of parrafin!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shawn

My diesel smells of parrafin!

Post by shawn »

Don't think I've got the pump timing right yet but does the parrafin smell meen its too advanced or too retarded?Sounds right though now.
Pump was a mile out last week and I'm wondering if the smell is from unburnt fuel in the cAT.Done about 20 miles though since then.
What do you recon???
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

How long have you had the car?
A parrafin smell can often mean it has actually been run on parrafin, which diesels will do quite happily but illegally (and vegetable oil).
shawn

Post by shawn »

I've had it nearly a year.
So its diesel in it.
The exhaust smells of parrafin though.
So its unburnt fuel but this must be down to the timing.I just dont know which way to go with it.It has more low down power right now than with the old pump (only just changed it)but first indications are that I'm not getting my economy.
Can you get fuel thrown out the back if its too far advanced.
See I just don't know!
I know cars I just dont know diesels!
Oil Burner
My Cars:

Post by Oil Burner »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
A parrafin smell can often mean it has actually been run on parrafin, which diesels will do quite happily but illegally (and vegetable oil).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Using parrafin or veg oil isn't illegal in itself - it's only illegal if you don't declare it and pay duty to those lovely folk at Custom & Excise. Still works out a shed load cheaper than dino-diesel - especially if you use waste oil form your local chippy!!
You do need to do a few mods to the car before though. Just chucking in oil is a quick route to injection pump failure.