306 HDI non starter and flashing glow plug light

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug Nutter
My Cars: 1999 Peugeot 306
Volvo S80 D5

306 HDI non starter and flashing glow plug light

Post by Pug Nutter »

Hi everyone, My beloved 1999 306 HDI 90 will not start and the glow plug light flashes on and off briefly for around two minutes after the ignition has been switched off accompanied by a clicking / screaming sound from the brown 15 pin relay behind the ECU. I have plugged a couple of scan tools in. A cheap one tells me I have a problem with TPS circuit A and circuit B, and another tells me I have a "Coded start operation fault".
I have checked and cleaned the earths that I know about and used a jump lead as a temp earth engine to battery and body to battery. I also have power at the low pressure pump and it is working along with diesel at the filter. I was only getting 2.8 volts out of the glow plug relay so have fitted a second hand one but when this is fitted I'm still only getting just over 4 volts on the output terminal. I am wondering if I have a break in the wiring to or from the ECU but don't have a wiring diagram. Please can someone offer some guidance?.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 306 HDI non starter and flashing glow plug light

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum :)

The fact that the double relay is chattering and unhappy suggests there is not enough voltage available to hold it operated.. Looking at the earths was a good place to look and now that's cleared it may be wise to look at supplies..

There may well be a clue in the glowplug relay... For such a voltage droop to be apparent it might point to a faulty short-circuit glowplug... I once had that happen on a diesel 205.. If I recall then the glowplug lamp flashed..

Try disconnecting the glowplugs and trying again. At this time of the year the engine will start readily without glowplugs... Ob an HDi they're only needed when the brass moneys are shivering...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Even then the HDi engine is so good that the glow plug light is only on for a moment. Blink and you miss it (unless it is so cold you spend 20 minutes chiselling the ice off the windscreen!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Pug Nutter
Volvo S80 D5

Post by Pug Nutter »

Thanks for your replies. Does anyone know which wires are supposed to supply the voltage to that brown relay?. I'm assuming that it gets its power from the ECU?. Thank, John.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pug Nutter wrote:Thanks for your replies. Does anyone know which wires are supposed to supply the voltage to that brown relay?. I'm assuming that it gets its power from the ECU?. Thank, John.

This diagram should tell you the pinouts and they should be the same for your car..

Item 1304...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug Nutter
Volvo S80 D5

Post by Pug Nutter »

Thanks very much CitroJim, you're a star!. I've now printed your diagram and will get my multimeter out and your diagram when I get back from work tomorrow night.
Thanks again for your help.