Darth Vader behind the dash of C4.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

miggsC4

Darth Vader behind the dash of C4.

Post by miggsC4 »

Like the subject line says, I now have Darth vader behind the dash. I never turn my air con off and a few weeks ago this faint noise arrived. It's like Vader taking a deep breath. You can just hear it while you are driving and when you switch the car off it goes on for a few min's. When you switch off it's like the sound of a balloon going down, starts loud and get's quieter, if you know what I mean. The air con by the way is as cold as ever. Any ideas.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Darth Vader behind the dash of C4.

Post by myglaren »

Car's haunted :yikes:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

My C5 started down this road, made a hissing gurgling noise. Before long started to loose cooling efficiency rapidly.
Took 5 visits to main dealer to correct - as they couldn't find a leak. Filled with dye and recharged - 2-3 times, but still lost any cooling soon after. Although slightly embarrassed by their inability to find the issue, they decided to change the condenser and in doing so, found the dye from a small leak near the top that wasn't easily detectable.

Once the condenser was replaced and re-gassed, all perfect again and no more Darth Vader!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

First association to the topic title:

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hilarious! :rofl2:

Marc
miggsC4

Post by miggsC4 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:My C5 started down this road, made a hissing gurgling noise. Before long started to loose cooling efficiency rapidly.
Took 5 visits to main dealer to correct - as they couldn't find a leak. Filled with dye and recharged - 2-3 times, but still lost any cooling soon after. Although slightly embarrassed by their inability to find the issue, they decided to change the condenser and in doing so, found the dye from a small leak near the top that wasn't easily detectable.

Once the condenser was replaced and re-gassed, all perfect again and no more Darth Vader!
Can you remember what the cost of doing that was?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Luckily for me I had it done under extended warranty. Depending on model, condensers seem to range anywhere from £80 - £280 inc. VAT, but of course the car will have to be degassed and re/gassed, plus the dreaded labour, so I wouldn't like to guess the final bill.
Have you actually lost any cooling yet? It may be worth taking it to Kwick Fit for a check first as they weren't charging if they couldn't get it 10% colder than it is for about a £50 for a re-charge. Having said that, if you took it to a main Citroen dealer with a fault, they shouldn't really charge you for unnecessary work whilst trying to locate and correct the fault. In my case for example, if I hadn't had it under warranty, I wouldn't have paid them for the 4 times they had to regass mine until they found the issue. This is why we take it to the main dealer after all isn't it? It may be worth looking at Eurocarparts or MicksGarage where you can enter your exact model - this will give you some idea for the condenser unit alone - if it is indeed this that is causing the problem. You may just have a leak from a hose which would be cheaper to fix - but the best option is to get some dye in the system first of all to try and eliminate the obvious. Good luck.

Marc
miggsC4

Post by miggsC4 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Luckily for me I had it done under extended warranty. Depending on model, condensers seem to range anywhere from £80 - £280 inc. VAT, but of course the car will have to be degassed and re/gassed, plus the dreaded labour, so I wouldn't like to guess the final bill.
Have you actually lost any cooling yet? It may be worth taking it to Kwick Fit for a check first as they weren't charging if they couldn't get it 10% colder than it is for about a £50 for a re-charge. Having said that, if you took it to a main Citroen dealer with a fault, they shouldn't really charge you for unnecessary work whilst trying to locate and correct the fault. In my case for example, if I hadn't had it under warranty, I wouldn't have paid them for the 4 times they had to regass mine until they found the issue. This is why we take it to the main dealer after all isn't it? It may be worth looking at Eurocarparts or MicksGarage where you can enter your exact model - this will give you some idea for the condenser unit alone - if it is indeed this that is causing the problem. You may just have a leak from a hose which would be cheaper to fix - but the best option is to get some dye in the system first of all to try and eliminate the obvious. Good luck.
Thanks for that, the cooling by the way is as cold as ever, its just the noise that's annoying.