XUD9 Bleeding coolant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dannyboy84

XUD9 Bleeding coolant

Post by dannyboy84 »

Hi all,
Have done the timing belt,tensioners and new water pump on my ZX estate.Now filling coolant have blown down radiator top and got coolant through bleed screws.Started engine bottom hose getting hot and top warm but no heat on heater blower.Must have a air lock somewhere.Turned off engine as I did'nt want to blow head gasket,think I'm ok.
What is the best way to fill up the system?

Regards

Danny
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: XUD9 Bleeding coolant

Post by CitroJim »

It's common to have a lock in the heater circuit Danny...

Fill with all bleed screws open, use an extension on the header tank (an old coke bottle cut in half and sealed to the expansion tank with blu-tak will do) and fill until all bleeds bleed.. Pump the top hose to see that's full too.. Maker sure the bleeder on the heater matrix hose is open too.. Once filled, close all bleeders but leave rad cap off and extension tank in place...

Start up, rev a bit and keep squeezing the top hose... Rev and open the heater matrix hose bleeder and see coolant escape from there...

All should be good.. Run until thermostat opens and rad is hot... As the thermostat opens you should see a fall in coolant. Top up at this point until the header tank is at the right level. Check heater..

Open all bleeds again and allow hot coolant to run freely from them.

Run until the fans cut in and out...

Stop and allow to cool but leave the expansion tank cap off until cold.. Top up if necessary and then recheck levels again after a good run.. The level will fall..

The reason you need an extension on the header tank is because the top of the engine is often above the top of the engine and without the extension the engine cannot be fully filled...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

CitroJim wrote: because the top of the engine is often above the top of the engine
It's one of those quantum engines.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry, I meant because the top of the engine is above the top of the expansion tank!!!

My bad... I was trying to do two things at the same time...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Sorry I couldn't resist. I knew exactly what you meant.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Sorry I couldn't resist. I knew exactly what you meant.
:-D :-D I did too but my fingers didn't :roll: :lol:
Jim

dannyboy84

Post by dannyboy84 »

Thank you will do this tomorrow.Keep you all posted.

Danny
dannyboy84

Post by dannyboy84 »

Hi all.
Disaster!!
I've got coolant spraying out from behind the air intake bracket behind fuel pump.Is the head gone? If so how easy to replace.I've still got my scrap zx?
How much at a garage?
Or is it head gasket or something worse?I thought it was coolant pump at first but I can see it spraying out behind the pump.
Advice needed please!

Regards
Danny
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No, that's likely the small ally plate on the side of the head with a small pipe spigot corroded to bits... You should be able to see it.. Losenge shaped and held on with two small bolts...

Head gaskets almost never spray outwards!
Jim

dannyboy84

Post by dannyboy84 »

Ok mate.
How do I get to it? Take off air intake then undo the two allen bolts?

Danny
dannyboy84

Post by dannyboy84 »

Or have you a photo of it?

Danny
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

dannyboy84 wrote:Or have you a photo of it?
No, I don't think I have...

It should be obvious to see if you follow the little small-bore black pipe back to it...
Jim

dannyboy84

Post by dannyboy84 »

Found the culprit.A blanking plate behind the bracket with a gasket seal.The plastic kind of plate is cracked.

Danny
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

dannyboy84 wrote:Found the culprit.A blanking plate behind the bracket with a gasket seal.The plastic kind of plate is cracked.
Excellent =D> Pleased about that Danny :-D
Jim

dannyboy84

Post by dannyboy84 »

Yeah I'm glad too!! Looks like an old crack in it and putting new pump and coolant in seems to have finished it off!!