Dispatch XUD starting - intermittent electrical issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Deequeue

Dispatch XUD starting - intermittent electrical issue

Post by Deequeue »

Hi All,

Have an intermittent issue on my dispatch 1.9 - I have an idea what it is, but would like to see if others have the same thoughts.

Essentially, when you turn the key, to acc and on, all electrics come on, radio works, etc. When the key is turned to activate the starter, all the electrics cut out, dash dies, all interior lights fail - essentially the lot just dies.

Turn the key off and back to acc, and the radio comes on, turn to the on position, and electrics cut out again.

Leave the van for a few mins, or disconnect the battery, and repeat. Other times it will start up fine. When it does kick, the starter is nice and fast, usually strikes within 2 or 3 rotations of the engine, and have no issues when its started.

My guess is I have a dodgy earth or positive cable - there's nothing visually wrong with either of them though. Battery is putting out 12.5v - although not tested under load, but there's no slowing of the starter when it does turn over.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as I'm at work, and it wouldnt start over lunch......

Thanks
Dale
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Dispatch XUD starting - intermittent electrical issue

Post by xantia_v6 »

I agree with your diagnosis, but it could also be an intermittent fault within the battery, try another battery if you can.
Deequeue

Re: Dispatch XUD starting - intermittent electrical issue

Post by Deequeue »

Thanks for the confirmation Xant - Going to make a new pos and earth lead up tonight and see how I get on.

If I still have issues, I'll see if I can sort a battery to check with.

Dale