205 Diesel 1.9 Engine Swap

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonesy
My Cars:

205 Diesel 1.9 Engine Swap

Post by Jonesy »

Straightforward question really to someone that knows?
Will the 1.9 XUD from a BX go into a Pug 205, I know that physically they are pretty much identical but would there be any major issues doing this. They both have the same fuel pumps etc.,
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The block and the stroke are the same except that the bores are 3mm larger in diameter on the 1.9.
Not sure about the heads and exhaust manifold outlet angles, if not the same that could give you problems mating up to the downpipe.
The very early 205's were 1905cc anyway and later on were changed to 1769cc, so my guess would be that it will swap over, be an idea to look into that before you decide to go ahead.
The front suspension was different for the more powerful engines like the 1769 td up, they used the gti setup with a lower two bush suspension arm rather than the simple track control arm with anti roll bar bolted through it.
Dave
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

Cheers Dave, will investigate further. I never realised that they put the 1.9 in the 205, you learn something every day.
The reason for considering this is that I have an old BX with a superb engine in it and did'nt want to scrap it with the rest of the car.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I put a BX 19D engine in a 205D about 3 years ago, no problems at all.
Only one thing to watch, what type of vacuum pump does the 205 have?? If its the belt driven pump that sits on top of the gearbox then you're laughing as the pulley that drives the HP pump on a BX will drive the pump, given a suitable sized belt. However, if the 205 is 1993 onwards it will have a camdriven vacuum pump which bolts to the end of the head. You will not be able to swop this onto your BX engine as the BX camshaft will be too long, and will lack the groove that drives the pump. I suppose you could swap the cam from the 205 over but I assume that the lift might be different.
Anyway, if you have a pre '92 205 its a simple job.
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

Thanks Jon, thats good to know. My 205 is a 1989 so the vacuum pump should be fine. Can I use the existing inlet and exhaust manifolds from the 1.7 engine or do I need to use the 1.9 items?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Mark- I´m in an Internet cafe on the Costa del Sol and I´ve just seen your post. What´s happened to the 205. Something serious methinks.
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

Don't panic John, there is actually nothing wrong with the 205 you'll be pleased to know!
The only reason I'm considering it is that the old BX needs some work for the MOT and I'm in two minds whether to do the work or scrap the car and keep the engine/box as the engine is superb in it, even though it has done 150,000 miles. Even if I scrap the BX I'd be reluctant to scrap the engine as well.
So basically its only an idea at this stage and you can sleep easy knowing the 205 is still going very strong, thanks in no small part to your excellent servicing record.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday!!