Engine won't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dubrunner

Engine won't start

Post by dubrunner »

Hi all I own a Xsara Picasso2.0L Petrol auto on a 04 plate. while being on the ferry from Dover to Calais the car drove on the ferry ok but on driving off she wouldn't start and the battery went flat and is now in economy mode . Put the car back on the ferry (as the French breakdown service are useless) and called the AA . He said the crankshaft sensor is working ok so it could be the coil pack. So I fitted a new battery(on fitting the new battery the display still says economy mode active and the battery light still comes on once I take the ignition key out) and coil pack and still doesn't start . I disconnected the fuel pipe and turn the engine over and no fuel being pumped though . I've checked the ECU connections and are ok and fuses are ok too so I'm thinking its the fuel pump so fitted a new pump and still will not start. I Can't find the fuel cut-off switch so I can check it nor do I know where the fuel pump relay is can anyone help thanks for looking
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Engine won't start

Post by myglaren »

While I am not familiar in any way with the Picasso, the charging light remaining on after removal of the ignition key suggests to me a faulty diode pack in the alternator.
Which may result in a lower than optimum voltage at the battery.
I couldn't say if the Picasso is included but a lot of the C-series cars are very voltage sensitive and the battery removal/replacement procedure can be critical.
There is a guide here.

I once attempted to shortcut the procedure as I needed to get to work quickly. Failed miserably and it instigated the immobiliser. Had to take the bus to work and do it properly that evening.
It may be that your immobiliser is active.
dubrunner

Post by dubrunner »

ok now that makes sense. that battery light has been coming on for about six months but I didn't know what it meant so a payed no attention to it and the battery was on its way out anyway . thanks for the info that's a great help
dubrunner

Post by dubrunner »

I've had someone plug in to the ecu and it turns out the immobiliser is not reading the keys
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

The reason why could be the duff battery connection.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That will most likely be down to the aerial that detects the RFID chip in the key.
IIRC a cheap and simple fix.

There are a number of related threads, like this one.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It could also be the problem had by 307 Peugeots, where the BSI forgets everything. Quite common on them with a dead battery to cause it.