Synergie won't start on the key/where is the alarm?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Synergie won't start on the key/where is the alarm?

Post by Ianhw77k »

This is a long story but I will try to cut it as short as possible.
Firstly, for those of you who don't remember, I thought I had disabled the immobiliser on my 95 Synergie by unplugging the keypad and removing the little box of tricks on the injector pump.
Then, a couple of weeks ago I pulled up to a job, turned the ignition off, the engine stopped but all the accessories were still working and the battery symbol was slightly glowing on the dashboard. To be safe I disconnected the battery and got on with my work. When it came time to leave I reconnected the battery but the car wouldn't start.
Eventually I sorted it with a wire to the starter solenoid, got home and found out the alternator was at fault. I've now fitted a new alternator and everything is fine apart from the fact that I still have to pop the bonnet to start it. The lights also were flashing for 30 seconds at a time but I've got round this by removing the relay that caused it, this hasn't affected the normal functioning of the lights.

My best guess is that the old alarm system, which has never worked for me in the 5 years I've owned the car, is stopping me from cranking the engine with the key. I can only assume the siren was either disconnected years ago or just doesn't work. Also, the key fob buttons don't work and are not repairable.

So, my question is, where is the alarm and how do I disable it without upsetting the central locking system?

P.s. There is a little button on the far right of the dash to turn the interior sensors off, this has a flashing red led that seems to keep flashing all the time, this is how I came to my assumption.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Ian.
1995 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD (Mine)
2001 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDI (The wife's)
Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Re: Synergie won't start on the key/where is the alarm?

Post by Ianhw77k »

While my tea is brewing I thought I'd make a quick update.

I've followed the wires that turn the siren off under the left wing. Found what must be the siren unit itself, unplugged that and no difference (well, it was worth a try). Now I'm attempting to follow the wires from that, back into the cabin and see where they go.
Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

Or, and this might sound crazy, I could read the owner's handbook which tells you how to disable the alarm from inside the car.

Sometimes I wonder how I remember to breathe! :oops:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat until bored of life.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!