Wiper arm keeps Popping off Ball joint - Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Wiper arm keeps Popping off Ball joint - Xantia

Post by Timmo »

Morning guys,
i had forgotten about this minorly annoying recent Quirk to the veg burner, mostly due to me not driving it in the rain much!! my Drivers side wiper arm has started popping off the ball joint on the mechanism from the motor, quickly fixed with a bonnet up, lift of the scuttle cover and pop back on, but it doesn't last long now at all, Yesterdays popping off happened on the A30 coming home from truro at 70mph, was a Good Pop noise and then the wiper attempted to wipe the drivers side window in stead!! dropped the window and pushed the wiper arm back onto the screen as i pulled off.
Is there a quick fix to it or is it just a case its Worn the joint and is end of service life kinda thing??

Would drilling a small hole down through the cup and into the top of the ball and putting in a small bolt with a spring on it to hold it in place yet allow it to twist with the movement of the arm Work?? or is it just a Replace it case????

Many thanks in advance guys,

Timmo.
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Wiper arm keeps Popping off Ball joint - Xantia

Post by wheeler »

The socket on the linkage has just worn. Have repaired plenty by drilling a hole then putting a self tapper & washer through it, normally with a bit of threadlock.
Another good quick temporary repair is to cut a section if a thicker type plastic carrier bag & fold it over 2 or 3 times & put it over the ball before refitting, makes it a bit tighter fit & will last a while longer.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When it happened on daughter's Xsara I got a replacement complete with spare motor for £20 at a breakers.

]Image[/URL]
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Thanks guys, popped the arm and cover off this avo, the plastic cup has worn on one side a lot, cabletied through the hole in the arm and around the linkage for now, will have a proper play over the weekend, will try the french breakers down the road as they did have a Xant in last year, not often in the yards here! :-(
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor