Zx trailing arm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dannyboy84

Zx trailing arm

Post by dannyboy84 »

Hi all,
I am going to check my trailing on my zx as the wheel has started to wear on the inside and is nearly rubbing on inner arch.If I undo the shock and there is no movement on the arm does this mean it has seized? I'm hoping it just needs new bearings and that I've caught it in time,don't think its worth putting new axle on as it's worth more than the car.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Danny
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Zx trailing arm

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Danny, sorry for the tardy response :oops:

The bearings in question are needle rollers and generally if they have got so bad that the wheel is beginning to rub the wheel arch than it's very likely the beam tube is damaged.. What happens id the bearing seize and they then cause the housing in the beam tube to wear oval. Also, the same seizure also causes galling and pitting on the surface of the training arm axles...

To compound the difficulty, due to corrosion the beam can be an absolute 'mare to pull apart..

Best bet by far is to get hold of a refurbished one and exchange yours. A scrappie is unlikely now to have a good one although I do believe one from a 306 will (or can be made) to fit.

Just beware that the hub stub axles are different for disc and drum brake setups and different models had different spring rates and different Anti Roll Bar stiffnesses...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...