Xantia auto box playing up, a bit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Xantia auto box playing up, a bit

Post by davewithington »

The auto box in my 1997 2.0i 8v is playing up, just a little.

If you slow down to just below a gear change point, 2nd to third and 3rd to 4th, then accelerate away, the box seems a bit confused as to which gear it should be in, and thumps up and down a couple of times.

The kickdown cable wasn't adjusted quite right, and that has alleviated, but not eradicated the problem

Do you think and oil change might help? Is the oil I need Total Fluide ATX as mentioned in the owners handbook?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia auto box playing up, a bit

Post by CitroJim »

Is this a ZF 4HP14 (old school) or an AL4 electronic one Dave?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

4HP14 Jim

I've not changed the fluid while I've had it, keep forgetting, and I'm amazed to notice I've done around 18,000 miles in it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A fluid change has got to be a good first step Dave and Dexron is cheap... Clean the filter too...

Make sure you only use genuine Mineral based Dexron II. Do not use Dexron III or later or anything said to be compatible... Just good old-fashioned orignail and best Dexron II...

If that does not cure it then I expect it'll be the governor seals need sorting. I believe it's not a hard job and can be done in-situ through the wheelarch but I sadly know nothing more than that about the HP14. This appears to be a popular problem on it's big sibling, the HP18....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davewithington
My Cars:

Re: RE: Re: Xantia auto box playing up, a bit

Post by davewithington »

CitroJim wrote:A fluid change has got to be a good first step Dave and Dexron is cheap... Clean the filter too...

Make sure you only use genuine Mineral based Dexron II. Do not use Dexron III or later or anything said to be compatible... Just good old-fashioned orignail and best Dexron II...

If that does not cure it then I expect it'll be the governor seals need sorting. I believe it's not a hard job and can be done in-situ through the wheelarch but I sadly know nothing more than that about the HP14. This appears to be a popular problem on it's big sibling, the HP18....
Ah there is a filter then. Do it sometime soon, I'll use the Total fluid mentioned in the car's handbook, Fluids ATX.

Sent from my K007 using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, there is a re-usable filter Dave. Should be in the sump under a small cover...
Jim

davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

I changed the fluid only last Saturday. The old oil came out looking likethe thin gravy you get in a carvery! Anyway, 2.3 ltrs of beautiful cheery red liquid went back in, and a week and 200 miles later I will tentatively say that it is cured. I'll change it again in a couple of thousand when I change the engine oil, and have the filter out as well.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, excellent news :-D

Given the old oil was that bad I'd now do several changes in quick succession to really flush out the old stuff. problem is a lot is trapped in the torque converter that cannot be drained in one go but three successive changes will go a long way toward getting all the old stuff out..

Fingers crossed all remains good...
Jim

davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

I've dropped the fluid four times now, and the problem has improved a great deal

The only time the box gets flustered now is if I decelarate sharply from, say 50 or so to less than 30, like when someone cuts in from on a fast road. Then it will shunt up and down a bit, but a sharp prod of the throtte pedal usually sorts it.

I'll have the sump off one of these days, but I'm not much inclined to wotk on cars these days, after 45 years of playing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good to hear Dave... I think that behaviour is really not too far from normal anyway in my experience!
Jim