My dead stereo...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

binhoker668
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi Forte (2001)

My dead stereo...

Post by binhoker668 »

Hi all, I've just bought my first Citroen (Xantia) - having been driving 405s for the last 4 years. I'm clearly a sucker for XUDs!
ANYWAY, my question is this - does anyone else have experience of dead-as-doornail stereos in Xantias? I've pulled it out, checked the leads behind, and also fitted my spare aftermarket one to test it. This one came on for about 2 mins, and then totally died again. Is this just down to the dreaded French electrics, or does anyone have any ideas?
Am not sure if it's connected, but the clock has now ceased to function as well.
Any help or suggestions gratefully received!!
Cheers,
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: My dead stereo...

Post by CitroJim »

Very possibly an earthling problem somewhere...

That's often what upsets the clock...

I'd firstly check there is a good supply to the radio. Don't be fooled if it appears to be there when measured on a voltmeter as often a joint that's gone high-resistance somewhere will show full 12v on a meter but will sag right down to zero under load..

Use a test lamp to confirm. An indicator bulb is perfect for this..

If it will help I can supply a wiring diagram and loom diagram of the radio connections...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Agree with Jim....I had to remake the earth to mine as it was intermittent (broken wire)...(the radio was stuffed anyway with a jammed tape ? maybe why)... and had me wondering if I had got a bad unit from ebay till I found the problem.

What age is your car and where are you located Chris ?, I have a spare from a S2 with code if you need.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
binhoker668

Post by binhoker668 »

Many thanks guys - and cheers for the stereo offer, but I already have an aftermarket one for it. I guess I have to just check every wire in the car then?
Those diagrams would be great I reckon...
Bit of a wiring novice here really...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'll get the diagrams scanned and posted up in the Wiki...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
binhoker668

Post by binhoker668 »

Damn, it was a fuse after all!! Thought I'd checked them all, but clearly not! Sounds are happening. :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you decide to fit an after market unit, be aware that PSA tend to swap the permanent live and ignition live over, so when you turn off the ignition the radio loses any memory settings.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

binhoker668 wrote:Damn, it was a fuse after all!! Thought I'd checked them all, but clearly not! Sounds are happening. :)
That's a nice (if not unusually easy) one :-D Excellent!
Jim