Xantia 1.9 TD flywheel timing hole

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nigel c

Xantia 1.9 TD flywheel timing hole

Post by nigel c »

In the middle of changeing the timing belt to Haynes procedures and I've hit a snag. Where is the flywheel timing hole??????
The Haynes description is Cr*P and the photo is of no help.
I've found some exposed teeth on the flywheel on the rear underside of the engine close to the rev counter sensor. Is it close to here ?
Help please
Nige
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As you are supposed to locate the hole with a pin inserted somewhere near the starter the hole will be on the front (engine) face of the flywheel.
From what I have seen of commercially available timing kits for these engines the locating pins have 2 bends in them to produce an offset. Presumably these are there for a reason.
Jeremy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

for the first attempt removing the starter is best, you will see the hole, insert M8 stud and rotate crank using family size screwdriver on ring gear teeth, gentle finger pressure on stud and it will fall into hole as it comes around,chech timing holes on cam and pump, if not in line pull stud out and rotate crank furter 360degrees with practice (Knowing where the hole is!)I can use a stud on a piece of welding wire and avoid starter removal BUT it appears that on TD engines the block flange is narrower and I have to remove starter anyway.
Have fun
Stewart
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

I just got a length of 8mm threaded rod and bend it at 90 degrees about 125mm long. works every <u>time</u>[:D]
nigel c

Post by nigel c »

Meexi, how does this work, do you have to remove the starter motor to get to it?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Nigel,
It's a pain to get to on the TD as everything is in the way. You will never see it without removing the starter motor. Get a long piece of 8mm bar and bend 4" of one end up at about 30 deg, then chamfer the end a bit. Now carefully slide the bent end along the bottom edge of the block behind the starter - you should find that it will slide into a 'guide' cast into the block and eventually into the hole in the block flange. You will hear a sort of ringing sound as it hits the flywheel. With the long bar you can now stand by the driver's wheel and carefully turn the engine forwards a bit at a time whilst 'jiggling' the end of the bar (which should be out over the injection pump somewhere). Eventually it will drop into the hole in the flywheel and you will wonder what all the fuss was about! However, on my mate's car which was very oily we had to remove the starter and clean the hole out with a small screwdriver as it was full of carbonised oil and we couldn't get the rod in at all. What age is your car - have you got the clip on or bolt on covers? If the latter watch out for the 11mm bolt down the back right under the turbo inlet hose you can't see and can only just feel.... Oh, and if you're following Haynes be careful as I think it suggests setting the timing then cracking the crank pulley bolt - DON'T! Crack the pulley bolt first thing with the engine hot, using the brakes to stop the engine turning. It's very very very tight. Nip the bolt back up whilst you set the timing, just in case the pulley decides to jump off.