2002 2.0 Hdi Picasso veg oil?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spiketheguru

2002 2.0 Hdi Picasso veg oil?

Post by spiketheguru »

Hi All

Will the 2.0 hdi run on veg oil ir do ineed to mix it or not bother!

Thank you in advance :-D
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 2002 2.0 Hdi Picasso veg oil?

Post by RichardW »

It will run - but probably not for very long, and at the expense of the injection pump.
Richard W
spiketheguru

Post by spiketheguru »

Fair enough thank you.

I will stick to diesel then lol.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Cars that will run on veg oil must not have an Hdi diesel engine like yours. High pressure diesel injection. Cars that can run on veg oil have a common rail diesel engine with a Bosch fuel pump. Direct injection engines will not usually stand it for long without doing damage.and that is if your just thinking about pouring svo straight veg oil into your tank. Then there is twin tanking when you have two fuel tanks one with a gallon of diesel and your main tank full of veg oil then it gets expensive to set up and a heck of a lot more complicated. Diesel is about 106.00 a litre now compared to a litre of svo being around 1.00 you'll get less milage and it gums up your engine bay believe me I've been there. You could make bio diesel if you fancy yourself as a bit of a chemist but it must be done in very strict safety. You would be using sodium hydroxide or lye which is getting expensive to buy in bulk if you have a never ending supply of used veg oil its worth a try but get good advice and don't buy a bio processor of off eBay they have been known to explode..making bio diesel is a process to be done very carefully.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
stupidxantia

Post by stupidxantia »

^^^
Agree entirely!
Please don't try to run a HDi on any kind of veg oil, Unless that is you are intending to run Bio diesel! You can buy Bio diesel from certain companies there is one in sheffield even ... A little tip though, go in a petrol car to buy it and say it's for off road use, generator, tractor or even heating oil ... whatever the excuse it makes it about half the price of diesel without the tax hike as if it's for road use you have to pay HMRC tax on it (only if from a pump)!

What you need for running SVO or WVO as I do is the good old trusty IDI (indirect injection) engine with a trusty old Bosch VE pump .... Lucas pumps will take it but not for very long before the poop out their seals (ask me how I know)! I would never put SVO or WVO in a direct injection or common rail HDi engine, Chances are it will break something!

I have done several thousands of miles in the Xantia 1.9td on both SVO and centrifuge filtered WVO with not so much as a hiccup really, well only the return lines that went pop .. but they are service items anyway :D

And yes it gums up the engine bay, and it smells bad if you don't clean it all off after a spillage (just a jetwash never seems to get it all off)
spiketheguru

Post by spiketheguru »

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

Shame really as I can get 2 litre bottles of veg oil for £1-49 lol.
As long as diesel is £1-06 @ litre Its no biggie your right..