Xantia front brake hose

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroDane
My Cars:

Xantia front brake hose

Post by citroDane »

Hi everyone,

I have the had to take the front calipers off to have them reconditioned. Meanwhile I noticed one of the flexible front hoses is in need of replacement (rubber dried out and has started cracking). Now, I have a 99, 2.0 HDI, 90hp with a regular / passive suspension. Albeit, I have the possibility to buy a QUINTON HAZELL front brake hose for CITROEN XANTIA ACTIVA 1998 to 10/2001 -that is on sale. This hose is the 402 mm long whereas my local parts dealer says my car needs a 385 mm long one for passive suspension. But the length is the only difference he is mentioning. I haven't yet managed to get mine off due to rust (now soaked in lubricant to help deblock) but sitting all twisty on the car it measures pretty close to 400mm.

My questions are a) it should not a be problem to go for an Activa brake hose for a Xantia with passive suspension. My thinking is, if anything the Activa hose ought to be more "robust" and b) can anyone confirm that a ca 15mm excess in length isn't a big problem (I suppose it would be if it were 15mm shorter than spec)? Incidentally I see the previous owner has replaced the other one with one that is definitely not a Xantia hose and looks some 50-60mm longer and I've been driving the car without brake problems for several years.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia front brake hose

Post by CitroJim »

I'm under the impression that all Xantias use exactly the same hose. I've never been aware of a difference...

Knowing how the hose routes and how far it moves in service (not far due to its routing) then a 15mm difference should be inconsequential...

The main thing to ensure is that whatever is offered is in fact a proper Xantia hose and is suitable for use with LHM. The hose should state this is the case.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Looks like there are 2 lengths - longer ones for the cars with the biggest front brakes (eg V6, 2.0T, 2.1TD, 2.0HDi 110) - 370 vs 355mm. Can't see the longer ones being a problem on the smaller cars - as long as the end fittings are the same!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a bit more learning for me Richard :) Excellent!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I had exactly the same conundrum a few weeks ago. GSF offered me two different lengths (15mm difference) that their parts system shows for the Green Lady. No explanation as to why two lengths. Opted for the longer ones on the grounds that 15 or 17mm extra length wasn't going to hurt but a faction too short might just give problems. No problems fitting (4th time I've done the job) - a run-through before posting the wiki page.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Normally the only problem with longer hoses is that the bend of the hose may rub on something hard or moving.
Putting a gentle twirl in the hose as you fix it, can usually direct it to safety.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh, I'm wondering now how often I've put the 'short' hose on cars that strictly need the 'long' hose.. :roll:
Jim

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

RichardW wrote:... - as long as the end fittings are the same!
They are. The hoses are absolutely identical, apart from that small difference in length.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

CitroJim wrote:I'm under the impression that all Xantias use exactly the same hose. I've never been aware of a difference...

Knowing how the hose routes and how far it moves in service (not far due to its routing) then a 15mm difference should be inconsequential...

The main thing to ensure is that whatever is offered is in fact a proper Xantia hose and is suitable for use with LHM. The hose should state this is the case.
Thanks Jim. On the box there's nothing specific about LHM. But it's my strong hope that anyone who produces hydraulics hoses for a Xantia -in this case QUINTON HAZELL- is aware that it's the only hydraulic fluid on a Xantia. Though admittedly I'm not too happy that it doesn't explicitly state that it's made for use with LHM.
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I thought they had to have colour banding on them ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

lexi wrote:Normally the only problem with longer hoses is that the bend of the hose may rub on something hard or moving.
Putting a gentle twirl in the hose as you fix it, can usually direct it to safety.
Thanks Lexi. As mentioned I in my post, on the passenger side the previous owner has fitted one that is some 50+mm longer and somehow it has not rubbed against anything, it seems. It does have a bend/twirl at the top of the segment that goes from the fixing bracket on the strut to the rigid pipe's flare nut.
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I have two unused new hoses I recently bought for my xantia, from different sellers. One has a green band (which I'm told indicates it's LHM compatible) while the other has a white band yet both were sold as Xantia suitable.
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

Stickyfinger wrote:I thought they had to have colour banding on them ?
Interesting; the hose itself does have a green plastic ring on the caliper end. That for LHM then?
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

MikeT wrote:I have two unused new hoses I recently bought for my xantia, from different sellers. One has a green band (which I'm told indicates it's LHM compatible) while the other has a white band yet both were sold as Xantia suitable.

Hi Mike, yes it is confusing. The shorter one that my local parts dealer says fits mine (385mm) doesn't have any ring, but the QH part on sale for the Activa does have green one!
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

Old-Guy wrote:
RichardW wrote:... - as long as the end fittings are the same!
They are. The hoses are absolutely identical, apart from that small difference in length.
Thanks. Mine seems to have an 11mm flare nut connecting the flex hose to the rigid pipe. So do I understand you right, that all Xatinas -passive or active suspension alike- have hoses with identical end fittings?
Last edited by citroDane on 01 Sep 2015, 04:12, edited 2 times in total.
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215