Coolant?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

superloopy
My Cars:

Coolant?

Post by superloopy »

Just topping up my V6 with genuine blue antigel. I take it this needs to be diluted cos it says 'concentrate' but nothing anout the mix ratio. Does a 50/50 dilution seem about right or should i go more or less?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: Coolant?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

50/50 Sounds good if it is concentrated and not pre-mixed.
I sometimes add a little more to top up later on when the system settles down a bit.
we have had minus 18 Degrees C here in the Ise valley and I go 60/40 these days.
if your parking your car at the side of a semi-detached centrally heated home
and don't have particularly cold winters 50/50 is fine.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Says concentrate on the bottles but no instruction as to dilution ...

Mike

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

All concentrate is formulated to be 50/50 mix
Those in the knowsaybad things happen if you add too much water and worse things if you have too much coolant.

The main thing is that nothing transferred heat like good old H2O but there were other reasons like viscosity, cavitation and some others depending on coolant/ antifreeze type. tap water breaks down the corrosion inhibitors too apparently and deposits timescale so use deionised water............so they say.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Nah .... needed straightaway (just how far up a V6 expansion tank do you fill her, i cant see any min/max marks at all as per handbook) so 50/50 mixed with tap water.

Mike

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

allow some space for expansion to err on the side of caution if there are no marks on the expansion tank
(at the side) about 1/3 off the bottom.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Mine settled out at 1/2 inch below the cap. I use 50/50 and distilled water (really very cheap from truck stops)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Distilled water is best, but it doesn't need to be sterile. Anyone with a domestic dehumidifier throws lots of it away - I keep a 20L poly-drum topped up from our dehumidifier. Rain water (plenty around at the moment!) is almost as good. Tap water, even if you live in a soft water area, contains negative ions: hypo-chlorite and flouride deliberately added by water companies, nitrate and phosphate from fertilisers and detergents, and in hard water areas, carbonate leached from the soil and bedrock. All these anions make the coolant an electrolyte (a conductor of electricity) and thus much more corrosive in the presence of the various dissimilar metals in the cooling system: copper, cast iron, zinc (plating and alloys), aluminium alloys. This means the corrosion inhibitors in anti-freeze have an uphill battle from the start.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
falling-out-with-my-car

I never thought of using the dehumidifier water I have been waiting to defrost the fridge once a year
Thanks for that #-o .
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Stickyfinger wrote: I use 50/50 and distilled water (really very cheap from truck stops)
Worth knowing. Distilled water from some supermarkets is more expensive than cheap beer!
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What about the condensate out of a condensing central heating boiler? Is that usable?

I always use a 50/50 mix of water/antifreeze..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

No Jim, that will pick up acids from the flue gasses which is why they are run to a drain.
My local parts shop sell it for about 50p\ltr but I use dehumidifier water.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thaks Dean, won't be using that then!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

Humidifiers are pricey mine Has a Thermoelectric Peltier Module basically a computer fan over an alloy heat sink
it needs 30% relative humidity to produce water from the atmosphere and it runs on a laptop power supply 12 volts dc, I bought it from Aldi for £30 ok it doesn't make much more than a litre of water a day or over night but as Old-guy says save it up.
if not find a neighbour who has solid walls in their home (old council houses) chances are they have a dehumidifier because when you put furniture up against an outside wall the wall cannot breathe properly. we strive so hard to knock down chimneys and install insulation that we forget that old houses built with solid walls still need to breathe.
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:.. we strive so hard to knock down chimneys and install insulation that we forget that old houses built with solid walls still need to breathe.
Not us! We have got rid of a couple of redundant chimneys, but have left future owners the option of having an open fire or installing a wood-burner. The 17C part of our house has no damp course in the walls and that under the flagged hall is just a layer of puddled clay. A dehumidifier is a much 'greener' and cost-efficient way of eliminating damp than central heating.