In for a penny....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

In for a penny....

Post by lexi »

In for a pound. The Donk C5 has proven to run good and drive well. PO has had brakes and discs all round (new front calipers too) and a new back exhaust box.
He said it had a new clutch 3 yrs ago. Who knows

Now: these belts. Where do you stop? My instinct is to start afresh with aux belt and tensioner, plus the full cam belt kit with water pump.
That is a few quid. Old car but only 108k and no rust threats underneath (solid things).
I check the aux belt with torch and mirror. Cracking on belt, so that is coming off. PO bought car with 70k on it and he ain't done cam belt, so I doubt it was done at before 70k. No noise from pulleys........just a faint squeak on shut down. I know they can break even though they only drive on camshaft. What have others done?
Not looking forward to it either :lol: Even those cam belt covers are a total PITA to get off!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: In for a penny....

Post by Peter.N. »

I have done the cambelt on my C5 and also on the 406, it wasn't really any worse than any other diesel I've done except for the hidden bolt on the top timing cover, its round the back of the engine! with the bolt head facing the bulkhead, having found that the rest was fairly straightforward.

You don't have to time the fuel pump of course but I have found locking the engine at TDC a pain, so after fitting the cam pulley locking bolt I cleaned off the front of the engine above the crankshaft sprocket and put a dab of paint on it and the sprocket before removing the belt. I timed it up using these marks and had no problems. I tensioned the belt in the time honoured way of a 90 degree twist at the top. No problems so far.

Peter
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I am leaning towards doing belts only. Thanks Peter

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Make sure to do the water pump as well. Apparently they can start leaking if they are disturbed (they start wetting themselves as they are now nervous!), although I have not done a belt change myself (just read what is posted here).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had that happen once on an XM so I change them as a matter of course now, not very difficult and quite cheap on ebay.

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The hidden bolt is fairly easily removed with a 10mm flex head ratchet spanner. I'd come and spectate, but going to be a bit busy over the next few weeks with extension building....

See here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=33939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard W
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thanks for the offer Richard and the link. Some other time mate. There is a haynes manual here that covers Xantia hdi, so it may be of help till I get C5 manual. Yes Ally ......water pump. I will end up doing the lot........it is my nature #-o
ATB with house stuff. If you need a brain pick, on roof or render etc, give me a mail.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Seconded re locking the crankshaft!
Even when you find the flywheel hole, it's a pain to get a pin into, and if you follow the correct procedure needs doing several times. Work round it however suits you best, but don't use the crankshaft pulley as a reference - they can move relative to the shaft.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I have a piece of threaded bar bent to a sinuous shape for crank locking, I seem to be getting more accurate at finding the hole :) I think the ~;>++ bolt on the rear of the belt covers is 11mm, there are several at the back of the garage, they tend to fly there after an eternity undoing them one flat at a time :twisted:
I would replace the water pump while I was in there, one less thing to think about while driving on the motorway miles from home, I have had a tensioner/idler pulley come apart on the later engines too (DW8) now that made a mess !
Its a miracle that I can sleep with the worry of it all.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The bolt on the HDi is 10mm, same as all the others - but since they didn't want life to be easy, they threadlocked the buggers in, so they need winding all the way out with a spanner :twisted: I don't think the link to the french site works anymore on my post, but there was a picture on there of the 'difficult' bolt on a LHD drive car - easily accessible from below with a socket and extension :roll: :lol:

Ah, it is working... here it is :o

Note on later cars the vernier cam was deleted in favour of a floating crank sprocket - therefore on these you really should lock the crank shaft to ensure proper timing.
Richard W
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Good pic Richard. I have some decent stuff on order. Cam belt kit, w/p, t/stat. crank pully, aux belt.

Need new coolant. It is OAT stuff?

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Yes, it's OAT.
I found it quite difficult to check which ones meet PSA's spec, but a technical rep at Bluecol confirmed that their '5 year' stuff is compatible.