ML5C gearbox rebuild

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fynnbar

ML5C gearbox rebuild

Post by fynnbar »

Anyone out there know of a workshop manual / instruction / any info / pictures on rebuilding this 'box please ?
2004 Dispatch 110 HDi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: ML5C gearbox rebuild

Post by CitroJim »

No, but it's not a difficult 'box to do. I have one on my bench right now ready for overhaul before it forms part of my V6 Activa Conversion project...

If you think of it as a big over-grown MA gearbox you won't go far wrong...

If your are in no vast hurry I can do a photo-strip of mine as it comes to bits.

Basically, to dismantle, remove the tin end cover, remove the 5th gear synchro and pinion being careful tthe synchro detent balls and springs don't make a bid for freedom, release the two bearing retainers, remove the reverse pinion shaft bolt, remove the diff, undo the main casing bolts and lift off..

Then it's really pretty standard gearbox stuff..

It's not too dissimilar to the BE 'box in many ways and my photo-strip of one of those detailed here may be helpful too but be aware the gear selection arrangements on the ML are totally different.

Why are you feeling the need to overhaul yours?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fynnbar

Post by fynnbar »

Thanks Jim
Bought a C5 one to put in my Expert van. The diff's noisy and a couple of synchros have gone - plus I'd like the higher final drive ratio. However, after removing my 'box, it transpires that the external selector mechanism, cable holder and cables are totally different.
Gonna try putting the C5 internals in my casing, but using the Expert selectors.
We've stripped my 'box (and yes, the three ball bearings fell out - oh, and there's no reverse pinion shaft bolt), but it's all a bit daunting tbh - the shafts and selectors kinda fell out of the casing after a good deal of head scratching.
Don't wanna spoil my chances, 'cos it looks difficult and fiddly to get it all back together properly. It was bad enough stripping mine down !
Used your photo strip, which was useful for the 5th gear part, but as you say, totally different from there on in ...
2004 Dispatch 110 HDi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent...

Sorry for the reverse pinion shaft :oops: I was doing it from pure memory and couldn't recalll if it had or not so I thought I'd play safe...

That's my excuse anyway!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fynnbar

Post by fynnbar »

So, any tips for the swap we're planning for next week?
Bit worried about how you get two gear shafts plus the selector shafts to locate all at once - or do they go back into the casing separately in some special way?
Is it correct that the Haynes Peugeot 205 manual has a useful gearbox rebuild section, which may be of some use?
2004 Dispatch 110 HDi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

fynnbar wrote: Is it correct that the Haynes Peugeot 205 manual has a useful gearbox rebuild section, which may be of some use?
Only for the BE3 gearbox and that guide is absolutely excellent.. It's only in the thick Orange Haynes for the 205, not the later thinner red one...

If push comes to shove I have a scan of it somewhere...
Jim

fynnbar

Post by fynnbar »

Well, we managed it, and all working fine in the van now.
Weren't any major problems, although it wasn't a rebuild as such, just an 'internals swap'.
Held the two gearsets and selector shafts together with cable ties. It's still a juggling act to fit them all into the middle casing together, and it really does need two of you. One good tip is that we used 15mm copper heating pipe to locate the three ball bearings and springs. As the end casing slides on, the selector shafts push the copper tubes out, whilst keeping the balls/springs in place. Lovely
2004 Dispatch 110 HDi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work :-D Well done!

Good tip on the copper pipe to hold to balls in place =D>
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent work :-D Well done!

Good tip on the copper pipe to hold to balls in place =D>
Sounds painful [emoji31] [emoji49]
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Malcolm probably would have said something about it, too!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Malcolm probably would have said something about it, too!
We're doing a fine job of keeping his spirit alive :lol: :-D
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think a "Citronut" response would have probably included the bierkrug lady

:dom: :dom: :dom:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes!!!! It would have and one of these :teabag:

And not forgetting one of these: :eye:
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

...and Percywotsit, of course.
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc