Clutch change on 2001 Xsara Picasso 1.6 SX Petrol

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

Clutch change on 2001 Xsara Picasso 1.6 SX Petrol

Post by Keith J »

Hi. I am having a sense of humour bypass here and could do with some advice please. This is a roadside clutch change as I have no where else to do it. Firstly, can anybody tell me how many bolts hold the bell housing to the engine? I have 7 bolts and the three hex bolts for the starter motor as that's all I can see, but I was unable to break the bell housing free. Also is in necessary to remove the offside drive shaft to remove the bell housing? Haynes says yes, other sources online suggest you only need to remove the nearside shaft. Thanks in advance for answers.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Clutch change on 2001 Xsara Picasso 1.6 SX Petrol

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't know about the bolts I'm afraid but they are very good at hiding them. You will probably get the box out with the o/s shaft in situ but you may have difficulty getting it back in again unless you have someone to hold the shaft in position while you slide the gearbox on.

Peter
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thanks for the reply Peter.N
longgo
My Cars: was Xantia I LPG
now - Xantia II
wish DS23

Post by longgo »

At least try to not have so much dust and gravel around during the "heart transplant" :)
Have no clue how is on Picasso but on Xsara 2000 sedan was that story:
- lift up on stands and remove the wheels
- loose the steering joints(tie ends, or what the heck was that in English?) from the hub.
- remove the drop links
- unbolt and remove the A arms.
- some of the guys prefer to remove first the hub nut keeping every drive shaft on place and pull the shafts totally, i didn`t
- remove the starter, and all junk over the gearbox
- loose all screws on the "bell" side and leave only 2 on top side easy to keep
- put jack under the engine but carefully and use rubber/wood to not break or crack something there.
- remove the gearbox rubber pillow, and after that, that tenon/bolt that is left vertical. That is hard one.. :)
- pull the short shaft out of the gearbox and turn it aside
- remove the bolts keeping the long shaft , and if you have right tool try to hammer it little on the bearing to go out of the socket.
- if it doesn`t go(as the subject in my story), remove the bolts keeping that TACHO unit to the gearbox(there is the VSS sensor)
- now pull carefully the gearbox out
- with softended hammer hit the end of that long shaft and it will move.
Later do all in reverse and have fun :)
http://longgo.eu/?x=entry:entry150206-235801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - what i`ve done on ZX
http://longgo.eu/?x=entry:entry141215-115627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and what was on Xsara, though not in so much details of removing
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thank you longgo
longgo
My Cars: was Xantia I LPG
now - Xantia II
wish DS23

Post by longgo »

No problem. Glad to help.Now only one thing I release write wrong on my previous post. You don't have to remove the A-arms.I remove that Xsara's ones because of replacing same time the bushes and ball joints.In your case only taking out of the hub the lower joint and steering rack joint + drop link will be enough.