C5 Rear Tyre Uneven Wear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doug Davies
My Cars: Citroen C5 2007 173hp + VTX Hatchback

C5 Rear Tyre Uneven Wear

Post by Doug Davies »

Looked at the Forum on this subject but my Rear Tyres on the C5 are wearing on the outside tread more than the inside. Also there is a groaning from the rear suspension. Can anyone diagnose the problem or advise on checks to establish the problem? Thanks.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 Rear Tyre Uneven Wear

Post by Peter.N. »

The only thing I know of that can put the rear suspension out of alignment is failure of the radius arm bearings but this allows the wheel to lean inward at the top thus wearing the inside edges of the tyres, it also causes a 'crunching' noise from the suspension. I have only experienced this on early C5s with hydropnumatic suspension, I don't know about the new ones.

Check your rear wheels with a spirit level and see if they are leaning.

Peter
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

What version/year is your C5? If it's the current model the alignment of the rear wheels is adjustable.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

IME, it's characteristic of (Mk 1) C5s to wear rear tyres more towards the outside to some extent.
If it's obvious and severe wear, though, there's clearly something wrong - the suspension shouldn't groan either!
Doug Davies
My Cars: Citroen C5 2007 173hp + VTX Hatchback

Post by Doug Davies »

DickieG wrote:What version/year is your C5? If it's the current model the alignment of the rear wheels is adjustable.
Hi C5 is 2007 model 173 VTX, tyre wear is: outside down to 2.0mm inside is 4.5mm. The other thing is tyres have only done 10,000 miles and only on the rear, the last set lasted over 20,000. Current tyres are Hankook 215/55R16 97W, previous were Kumos. I have also towed with car, load 1300 kg for approx 3,000 miles. I will take a look at the wheel alignment with a spirit level, I've also jacked the back end up, can't feel any play in wheel or suspension bearings and only noticed the disproportionant wear over the last month approx 1500 miles. Thanks for your help Guys, Doug.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

You will not be able to see/feel anything with the car on the wheels when checking the radius arm bearings.....which my bet says has happened as it is the only thing that can make the tires lean.
The next thing you will get is a metallic CLUNK like two hammers hitting each other and people looking at you in the high street :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting