Xantia clock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroenCrazy
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi
1999 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi,
C6 2.2 Manual
They're the modern ones.....

Xantia clock

Post by CitroenCrazy »

Hi chaps
My daily driver (S2 Xantia, 110 HDi, 225K miles) has had a wonky clock for years. It started off as intermittent, but now it's pretty useless.
Symptoms
- will not retain the time; set it with the ignition on, come back later & it's reset to some random time (never 12:00, as one might expect)
- fades at random while driving along, from normal to completely off
- the temperature gauge seems to work ok, when it's visible

This weekend, I finally got round to swapping it for another one. Symptoms unchanged.

So, it could be that these devices are plain unreliable, and the replacement has the same fault,
OR, it could be a power problem. Given that it has problems both with ignition on and ignition off, my first thought is that it has a poor ground, but I've no idea where this might be. Apart from the usual intermittent contacts on the instrument cluster, which is a different issue, there's no other evidence of poor earthing in and around the dash..

What think you ?
Lenny
My Cars: 1986 2cv Charleston
1986 2cv Special
2010 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
1992 VW Corrado VR6
1970 Vw Beetle

Re: Xantia clock

Post by Lenny »

All I can offer is empathy.
The only thing that doesn't work properly on my Xantia is the sodding clock.
Exactly the same symptoms as yours and I've also tried swapping the clock which made no difference.
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

definately sounds like a problem with the wiring to it. whip the clock out and measure the voltage across the plugs, if possible while its running. could be an earth.

i did notice when fiddling with mine there is 2 fuses for the radio and one also covers the clock (on the S1 at least) so check its not blown.
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Hi - my clock does the exact same thing. Runs OK for days even weeks at a time, then for no apparent reason start resetting or fading away or a combo of both. Real PITA

I used to think it was to do with the state of the battery, and wondered if it was linked to glow plugs and starting causing a volt drop, but sometimes it does it in the middle of the night, or half way through a long motorway journey.

If I have the time I was thinking of wiring a new earth in or even a perm supply to see if that helps unless someone has tried this to no avail!

Cheers

Alan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There is a bizarre aspect to the Xantia clock. It finds its earth right on the main earthing plate by the battery. From here it runs as all the way to the clock via the infamous 10AV loom and the massive interconnect plug..

One thing you can try is to run a new earth to somewhere nearby the clock....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...