Cit BX 1.7 td fuel filter change.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikeg
My Cars:

Cit BX 1.7 td fuel filter change.

Post by mikeg »

I changed the fuel filter on my 1990 BX DTR turbo diesel and havn't been able to start it since. I have tried to prime it by pressing the priming button & opening the bleed screw but no joy. I have removed the filter unit, reassembled, bled it fires up but does not run. Any ideas please? One point, the filter is of the long paper type. In the kit were 4 seals, one the filter housing seal, the centre bolt head seal another fits on the centre bolt on top of the filter, Where does the fourth one go? It's approx 1.12" o/d .25" thick .75" i/d.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you can keep priming the bulb - then air is getting in.
I take it the new filter is exactly like the old one ?
Sorry - don't know about those seal bits -
- any hints on the packaging ?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If its the older type with the priming button on top of the filter the diaphragm is known to fail in the priming pump, I would re check the seals then slather clear silicone sealer around the button to seal it, then I would pop to the breakers and get a later type priming bulb and fit it before the original filter and prime away. ( I used to change mine at the top of a VERY long steep hill and roll down in second gear to get fuel up!)
Stewart
mikeg
My Cars:

Post by mikeg »

Thanks for advice. The problem turned out to be a bad seal on the filter casing. Touch wood etc, it seems to be ok now.