Which Part Do I Need??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

Which Part Do I Need??

Post by cheesesliceking »

Hello
Problem..
Petrol gauge not working.. swapped for another that does work.. but still no worky.[:(!]
So which part do i need? is it a fuel sender or something? anyone know?
Cheers
Its for an 89 AX GT by the way
[:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So which part do i need?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
brains [:p][;)][:p]
Obviously you have a problem in "the other part" of the circuit - which commonly means a dodgy connector or cable.
cheesesliceking

[:0][B)][:I][8)]
Hardy har har, i'd checked all the wiring/connectors that i could see so i'd asumed i needed the fuel gauge sender.. so 'i've ordered one.. hopefully i wont run out of petrol on my way home form work now.....DOH!!
If anyone was wondering how much fuel an 89 AX GT takes from EMPTY...its £35.80....
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sorry about that csk - could'nt resist on the heading ... [:p]
Seriously :
You should have a 3 pin connector on the sender unit - the numbering should be cast into the connector housing.
I suspect the connections would be the same as found in the BX ('87/'88 on) :
pin 1 = earth
pin 2 = gauge signal
pin 3 = tank empty warning lamp lo (earth) side
On earlier BX models the function on pins 1 & 3 are reversed.
Have ignition on - then test the cable connector :
a) The empty warning lamp should be lit if you inject an earth to pin 3.
b) The earth pin 1 can simply be tested with a standard testlamp connected to +12V on the crocodile clip. The testlamp should be lit bright indicating a good earth. You may "borrow" a fuse protected +12V from your interior lamp.
c) When connector is not fitted on sender - the gauge should read full tank.
Opposite - if gauge signal pin 2 is injected an earth - the gauge should read empty tank.
If all this checks out ok - then both senders are at fault - or the contact springs in the connector should be squeesed to positively clamp on the sender's male contact pins.
If either connection is "dead" - trace the cable under the carpets ensuring it's not chafed on it's run. Then trace the instrument panel for any problem.
BTW : any mishaps on the cable connector injecting either earth or +12V won't damage anything [;)]
Hope this helps [^]
cheesesliceking

Cheers Anders, much appreciated matey[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]